Around Totnes

Bamber

Super Moderator
Every year the Totnes Elizabethan Society organise the Orange Races in commemoration of Sir Francis Drake, as legend has it that the old sea-dog dropped his basket of oranges on Fore Street and the locals chased them down the slope (it was on 20th August this year).

Competitors must kick their fruit along the 450 metre course from the Market Square – they can’t pick it up and carry it. At least part of the orange must be intact by the finish.

Races are arranged by age group with trophies for winners and runners-up. The youngest children race on the flat and end at the market and other competitors begin at that point and race all the way down the hill of High Street and Fore Street to the Seven Stars Hotel.

I've never seen it as I'm always at work when it takes place.

Bamber

Super Moderator
I went for a wander while my washing was on in the launderette on Sunday. In Konifur's Collage thread Squirt said she'd like to visit the Norwich Bear Shop; we have one in Totnes too, but as it is not just bears the name has changed although bears do appear on the doorposts and marquee. Bears in the shop still have Bear Shop labels, though.

Not Made In China
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
There was a time when this pub was THE place to go in Totnes. The landlord in the 1980s and 90s was Tim Langsford. When I returned to Totnes in 2005 he was landlord at The Albert. It has been through many managers since Tim's day and has been closed for over a year now. It was almost taken over recently, but the deal fell through.

Closed Kingsbridge Inn

squirt

Administrator
what a glorious day!
just love the mixture of the new, the not so new, and the old!
and ty ♥

xsandos1.gif

Bamber

Super Moderator
I think I'll have to keep an eye on the weekend evening weather during November; Dartington Hall Gardens will be lit up for evening guided tours. I may not go on the official tours but take photos from outside.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Walking along Steamer Quay on the way home last night I heard an avian argument and recognised the sound of disputing kingfishers. I was surprised to see the two of them sat on different boats just out in the river. Rather than their normal, watchful fishing poses, both were sitting bolt upright, glaring at each other across the short gap between the boats. By the time I had the camera turned on the one on the white boat had flown across the river and I just had time to catch 3 seconds of the other before it too flew off, chasing the first.

I watched them tussle across the river before they flew out of view downstream. I believe I was the only witness to this little spat, and would have missed it entirely if I didn't know the sound of kingfisher by now.

Bamber

Super Moderator
As I was disappointed with my morning photo attempts, I now live closer to work, and I need to do a little food shopping, I decided to reverse my morning walk at lunch time and see if I could capture a picture of the autumn colours viewed from the Sharpham Heritage Trail. I am fairly pleased with the result.

Overlooking the autumn trees of Vire Island

There was about 40% blue sky, but looking due north the clouds were layered and did look painted on, just as in the photo.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
Booked a 7pm visit to "Illuminate the Darkness" at Dartington Hall on Friday. Currently the weather forecast says clear, but the weather changes rather rapidly at this time of year, so I've got my fingers crossed. I'm not experienced at night photography and haven't used my Nikon for ages. I must remember to charge it and clean it, and put batteries in my light meter too.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Wow! Even if none of the shots or clips come out, that was worth the visit. Supposed to take around 30 minutes to get round. I spent over an hour.