Around Totnes

Bamber

Super Moderator
...and upstream.

Mostly disguised by nature
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
It's been pretty wild, wet and windy for the last week or so in Totnes. I took a very short walk at lunch time today for a specific reason as there was a break in the weather, which is forecast to improve so I may be able to get out a little more.

Mr Graham Walker
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

The man, the hero, the legend. Graham has raised tens of thousands of pounds for charity in the south-west of England in the last 30 years, the last 22 in Totnes. He is retiring from fundraising at the end of the year (mind you, he's said that before).

Here he was collecting for Totnes Caring, a local charity. He also sells items to raise money and his latest offering is this bag...

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
It's called Gothic House. Like many of our buildings it is listed as an historic building. This is the listing description:

Early C19 villa in Gothick style set back from street in court. 3 storeys, 2 windows. Hipped Welsh slate roof with red brick stack. Devonian limestone rubble with rendered front and slate-hung rear. Cornice and crenellated parapet. Splayed oriel window bays rise through 1st and 2nd floors with 3 light, arched, casement windows with Y tracery. Ground floor with splayed bay with 3-light arched French windows with Y tracery. Arched entrance to side passage with panelled entrance door.

The "side passage" to the left is actually Bank Lane, one of our narrowest side streets.

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
Here's an old photo. Until a couple of years ago there was a weeping willow in front, but it had to come down as it was getting dangerous.

Bamber

Super Moderator
We have a new policeman in Totnes. Apparently every Christmas he decorates his helmet this way. His name is Rob and he seems to be a grand character from tales I have heard of him. Welcome to Totnes, Rob the Rozzer.

(Not my photo)

Last edited: