Bamber anecdote

Bamber

Super Moderator
I managed to get to Barnstaple this week, after all sorts of trouble with trains last week. The weather was absolutely glorious: the calm before the storm as Storm Ciara hit the UK on Saturday night.

Barnstaple Long Bridge
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
Back in the 1960s my grandfather rescued an oval tilt-top table from being dumped when a local building was being demolished. It is almost identical to the one in this picture and is roughly 4 feet across the longer side.

The top is veneered with walnut-burl and decorated with fine marquetry. The base is made from solid carved mahogany. It was in almost perfect condition, just a small patch of blistering on the veneer and some old woodworm damage to the base.

My dad has had the table in his garage for decades, along with a small round oak table which belonged to his grandmother, both in pieces.

I telephoned him yesterday to see how he is (I said to him I was making sure he had done his panic buying) and he told me he was "sitting in an antique shop". I knew he was thinking of getting the tables professionally restored, assembled and assessed; they have now been returned.

Grandad's table is, as we thought, from around 1880. The real surprise was great-gran's side table: it's from the early 1700s! Grandad's table is worth around £1,500 ($1,800). I've no idea of the value of the other piece.

Bamber

Super Moderator
No, the isolation isn't getting to me at all.

WIN_20200407_16_12_38_Pro.jpg

Lord above that beard looks a lot whiter than it really is! Actually I'm coping very well as I really enjoy my own company. I took this in response to something similar a friend posted on my facebook timeline.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Well, the service contract with our only customer has been extended one more (final?) time, this time to the end of August 2021.

Doesn't really make much of a difference to me as the boss is going to pay me to the end of 2021 anyway.

Bamber

Super Moderator
Here in the UK there is a license fee for possessing a TV (it's how the BBC is financed: no advertising revenue). It currently costs £157.50 (around $210) per annum. The last time I had a TV, almost 30 years ago, it was less than £80.

When I changed address a year ago I almost instantly received a letter from the TV licensing authority saying I didn't have a TV license. I wrote to them saying I didn't have a TV. I also told them I would NOT allow them access to the property without a warrant.

Today I received a letter with TV LICENSING on the envelope. I expected it to be a similar letter to last year, but no: it is a confirmation that I don't need a license. I didn't even know there was such a thing!

So I have what is, in effect, a non-TV license.
🤣

I wonder what faceless bureaucrat though this one up!

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
I may be an aficionado of the female derriere, but what really makes me tingle to my utter extremities is a husky female voice.

Joan Greenwood could have kept me captivated reading out the logarithmic tables.

Bamber

Super Moderator
This post brought back memories:

Back in the late '70s and early '80s I lived in Bromsgrove, roughly 14 miles from the city of Worcester. There were about a dozen or so of us who rode motorcycles used regularly to visit this pub at the weekend...

...we used The Plough for a couple of reasons.
1. They sold draught rough (alcoholic) cider.
2. The police used to drink there too. This meant the pub was never raided for 'after hours' drinking. The coppers used the lounge (through the door in the picture). We used the bar, in through a door at the rear.

As you can see, fairly close to the cathedral.