Bamber anecdote

Bamber

Super Moderator
I managed to get to Barnstaple this week, after all sorts of trouble with trains last week. The weather was absolutely glorious: the calm before the storm as Storm Ciara hit the UK on Saturday night.

Barnstaple Long Bridge
by Phil Gayton, on Flickr

Bamber

Super Moderator
Back in the 1960s my grandfather rescued an oval tilt-top table from being dumped when a local building was being demolished. It is almost identical to the one in this picture and is roughly 4 feet across the longer side.

The top is veneered with walnut-burl and decorated with fine marquetry. The base is made from solid carved mahogany. It was in almost perfect condition, just a small patch of blistering on the veneer and some old woodworm damage to the base.

My dad has had the table in his garage for decades, along with a small round oak table which belonged to his grandmother, both in pieces.

I telephoned him yesterday to see how he is (I said to him I was making sure he had done his panic buying) and he told me he was "sitting in an antique shop". I knew he was thinking of getting the tables professionally restored, assembled and assessed; they have now been returned.

Grandad's table is, as we thought, from around 1880. The real surprise was great-gran's side table: it's from the early 1700s! Grandad's table is worth around £1,500 ($1,800). I've no idea of the value of the other piece.