Difference in opinions!

sybarite

I've noticed that there is usually a huge difference in opinions between Americans/Canadians and Europeans on most subjects. Why do you think that is?

Tsalagi

[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 4799170]I've noticed that there is usually a huge difference in opinions between Americans/Canadians and Europeans on most subjects. Why do you think that is?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are still pouting because we left the Empire in 1781? :thinking::thinking:

T

Goodgrief

OK, from THE Canadian...

First of all, our Government system is totally different than the U.S. We are still bound, tied, and submitted to the Queen.

That being said, we are attached to the Commonwealth, which means that we have an obligation to protect each other.

WWII is the latest example of that. The war was declared in 1939 and all of the Commonwealth countries joined into the fight.

The U.S only got pissed off enough when Pearl Harbor got attacked much later.

I'm not being catty about that because while Canada was fighting overseas, we had a great deal of help coming from across our only border. Fighter planes literally being pushed across the border...

Personally, I wish our system would change. We have no say about who we want as the head of the country. We have to vote for a party we think would be the best, not the person we would want as a leader.

You, the Americans, have the best electoral system. Yet, you manage to screw it up as much as we do. No perfect world, is there?

\

sybarite

[QUOTE="Tsalagi, post: 4799171]Maybe they are still pouting because we left the Empire in 1781? :thinking::thinking:

T
[/QUOTE]

I thought they might be over the fact that we kicked their ass in the Revolutionary War, maybe not.:grinch:

Goodgrief

From a Canadian point of view, it's mixed feelings. We wish we had a fair electoral system. On the other hand, we appreciate being part of the Commonwealth. No such thing as a perfect world, is there?

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
I think the main difference between the Americans and the Europeans in the debate threads is that the Europeans see most issues in shades of grey, whilst the Americans tend to see things in black and white. I can't think of any issue of any significance that is likely to be resolved by a "simple solution", but I keep reading that "the answer is simple".

TwiztedAngel

The only "simple" solution would be the eradication of the human species. Radicalized Muslims are presently working on that.

As for issues being "black and white" versus "gray", They teach kids in Sunday School (religious class) that God hates anyone that is "luke warm", and everyone should be either hot or cold.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal Super *Star* & all around NiceGuy
R.O.F.L.M.A.O!

As an American I have never seen anything in just black and white or just gray colors. Screw that my Mom showed me how a kaleidoscope and from then on OH HELL YEA! That's pretty much how the rest of my life went. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]