DREAM Act no dream...could be reality

sybarite

An immigration reform pundit says Democratic members of the lame-duck Congress are prepared to approve a bill that would give amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants who will likely become dependable Democratic voters.

In a hastily prepared news release, William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration PAC, said he learned Wednesday afternoon that outgoing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-California) has scheduled a vote on the DREAM Act ("The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act") which would provide a fast-track to U.S. citizenship to selected illegal aliens.

According to Gheen, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) is also getting in on the act, preparing to move on a cloture vote and paving the way for approval of the Defense Authorization Bill, which also includes DREAM Act legislation.

"We believe that they have the votes in the House -- and they're very close to having the votes in the Senate," he laments. "And at this point, the only thing that can stop up to 20 million illegal immigrants becoming a new voting bloc that will displace millions of American students, workers, and voters, is a historic and unprecedented backlash from the public."

The immigration reformer encourages people to "get on the phones...call all congressional offices, and fill the voicemails."

Gheen says if people load the Capitol switchboard with calls, there is a chance that the DREAM Act can be stopped. Otherwise, he predicts the lame-duck Democrats will have their victory.

They really don't get why they were voted out, do they?:doh:

Flynn

In most cases the term " lame duck " is used in reference to the inability to perform normal duties.

If the Democrats still have the voting power to change, alter or enact legislation then it is the Republicans who are the Lame Ducks.

Vinnie

Why were they voted out...let's think..maybe the economy? I am just amazed that they did not get a bigger kicking than they got!

sybarite

In most cases the term " lame duck " is used in reference to the inability to perform normal duties.

If the Democrats still have the voting power to change, alter or enact legislation then it is the Republicans who are the Lame Ducks.[/SIZE]
The Republican congress does not come into power until January 3, 2011. The Democratic congress has until then to do as much damage as they possibly can, and they will. They know they are going to be done soon, so they have nothing to lose. They will now push their agenda hard and fast before they run out of time. :tdown:

sybarite

The High Costs of the DREAM ACT
By Mark KrikorianPublished December 02, 2010

Missing from the debate over the latest amnesty effort is the costs with which the DREAM Act would burden U.S. taxpayers. New research by my organization, the Center for Immigration Studies, finds that that the bill’s college-attendance requirements will cost U.S. taxpayers $6.2 billion in subsidies for educating the illegal aliens who are expected to enroll to get a green card.

Assuming no fraud, we conservatively estimate that 1.03 million illegal immigrants will eventually enroll in public institutions (state universities or community colleges) as a result of the DREAM Act. That is, they meet the residency and age requirements of the act, have graduated high school, or will do so, and will apply. On average, each illegal immigrant who attends a public institution will receive a tuition subsidy from taxpayers of nearly $6,000 for each year he or she attends, for total cost of $6.2 billion a year, not including other forms of financial assistance they may also receive.

The problem is that the DREAM Act does not provide funding to states and counties to cover the costs it imposes. Since enrollment and funding are limited at public institutions, the act’s passage will require some combination of tuition increases, tax increases, or a reduction in spaces available for American citizens at these schools. This may have the effect of reducing the educational opportunities that would otherwise have been available to American citizens and legal immigrants.

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JChUO4TLjnY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Ok.
I went to college AND served in the military?

What do I get?

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3544579]Ok.
I went to college AND served in the military?

What do I get?[/QUOTE]

add a $1.00 to all that and you can have a cup of coffee....(no disrepect intended... its just that nowadays those things dont seem to mean much to anyone... pretty shitty huh?)

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
My point was that is exactly what this nightmare act is promising.
If you're here illegally you can simply get a college degree or serve in the military for a stretch and *poof* you're legal.

Sorta spits in the face of those of us that served with no expectation of a reward.
:cool:

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
i ve heard both partys speak in support of a program like this in the past.there is no good answer to the problem s that illegal immigration brings.. but it is something that should have been delt with long ago but wasnt..and if economic times were good we would probably still see nothing being done to change it.

DLJStRap

Jokeroo Enthusiast
There's a real problem, in America. Our border to the South has always been porous. We've always needed cheaper "Mexican" labor, so much so, really, that they have been a part of us. But, in tough times, like the Bush-induced great recession, they seem to compete, by their very presence here, with "real" Americans, who really need work.

Forget all the hyper-nationalism, about "legal" and "illegal" Americans. We, as Americans, never much cared about such fine distinctions, when it came to necessary cheap labor.

Oh, to be an American these days,
oh, that is such a ton of rot,
as if where you were born,
or what you speak, as a primary language, matters.

What really matters, underneath the skin of racism, variously refined,
is just this ---
are you man (or woman) enough to change,
or, silly you, do you insist on nonsense,
such as the idea that you are so dead that you can't change?

Moi? I'm learning Spanish, or something like that, everyday!