grandmother died

hydradragon

Sunday my grandmother of 96 years old past away. Yesterday was the funeral, yesterday was also my daughters 11th birthday. The funeral was early in the morning and with Houston traffic we knew to get ready and leave our house early. I was so pre occupied with all that was going on that I forgot to say Happy Birthday to my daughter that morning. We were in the car and I seen her face from my car mirror and she looked so sad and then I remembered today is her birthday. I wished her Happy Birthday and my husband sang to her, her face brightened up. We had celebrated her birthday Sunday so she did have her party and many presents already but that was her special day and I forgot. I know I have a good excuse and why my mind was on other things but I hated that I disappointed her.

squirt

Administrator
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww ... bless her little heart! :hugs:
and yours! my thoughts and prayers go out to all of ya'll that she left behind! :rose:
:blowkiss:

[jimg]nnx6/z3/A/J/n/e/a.baa-.gif[/jimg]

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal Super *Star* & all around NiceGuy
Hydradragon, at 11 years old she knows. I personal thank god that my children knew my Mother and GrandMother.
Just make sure you tell her that you love her every day.
Ninety six is a good age she had left a good life and with you as a grandson.​

hydradragon

[QUOTE="stevent222, post: 4200299]

Ninety six is a good age she had left a good life and with you as a grandson.​
[/QUOTE]

umm grandson I think you mean granddaughter...Anywho I did bring to the attention of my husband that the woman in my family live a long long time so he better be prepared for a long life with me. lol I totally agree love should be expressed daily.

Goodgrief

My condolences for your loss and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

My grandfather passed away in his sleep on Christmas morning at the age of 92. He had been in hospital care for 5 years. The day before, he was still flirting with the nurses. Strangely enough, all of his children were in town for that Christmas (some lived in remote areas). What to do? Family dinners had been planned. The funeral wasn't going to take place for another 3 days.
Albert (my grandfather) was a typically joyful Irish man.
Those 3 days preceding the funeral were the best family reunion that ever was. Each member of the family brought up great stories about him. I was only 12 at the time and found out how much of a great man he was.
Our Christmas wasn't destroyed by his passing. In essence it became a celebration of his life.

Every Christmas, I have special thoughts for my grandfather, it's not sadness, just good memories. I hope your daughter will have a similar remembrance on her birthday.

hydradragon

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4200543]My condolences for your loss and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

My grandfather passed away in his sleep on Christmas morning at the age of 92. He had been in hospital care for 5 years. The day before, he was still flirting with the nurses. Strangely enough, all of his children were in town for that Christmas (some lived in remote areas). What to do? Family dinners had been planned. The funeral wasn't going to take place for another 3 days.
Albert (my grandfather) was a typically joyful Irish man.
Those 3 days preceding the funeral were the best family reunion that ever was. Each member of the family brought up great stories about him. I was only 12 at the time and found out how much of a great man he was.
Our Christmas wasn't destroyed by his passing. In essence it became a celebration of his life.

Every Christmas, I have special thoughts for my grandfather, it's not sadness, just good memories. I hope your daughter will have a similar remembrance on her birthday.

[/QUOTE]

thank you so much for your story. My children were not to close to my grandmother she speaks spanish and very stubborn about that well I don't speak spanish nor does my children so they really never formed a great bond to her but I did take all my children to the funeral for that exact thing. To meet cousins they had never meet before (I have 2 aunts that live out of town) so this would be the only oppertunity to meet them. I also sat with my Aunts and asked questions about my grandmother and about her life things I had never known. Funerals are a time for celebration of life its a sad occasion but at the same time that passing brings family together to grieve but also to remember good times and reconnect with each other if only for a moment.