It's May in July

Tsalagi

Theresa May, a relative moderate who has served for the last six years as home secretary, suddenly emerged victorious on Monday in the race to succeed David Cameron as Britain’s prime minister, bringing to an accelerated conclusion a political drama set off by the nation’s vote to leave the European Union.
In another day of fast-paced developments, Ms. May’s only rival to become leader of the Conservative Party and successor to Mr. Cameron, Andrea Leadsom, abruptly pulled out of the contest, saying she did not have sufficient support from the party’s members of Parliament. Ms. Leadsom withdrew after a weekend in which her candidacy was all but consumed by remarks she made in an interview suggesting that she was better qualified because she is a mother, which Ms. May is not.

The Party leaders must have thought she was a real "Mother******" to have made such comments.
Really, the top two candidates were women? (Sure to draw some flack for that, he, he, he!) And why was that a secret from the world until today?

Colonial minds want to know!

T

Bamber

Super Moderator
Who is there to oppose the Tories? Labour are in meltdown at the moment. You'd probably end up with the Scottish Nationalists as the second party.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal Super *Star* & all around NiceGuy
A women leader, I sure hope like hell Americans do not adopt this concept.

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
[QUOTE="stevent222, post: 4898389]A women leader, I sure hope like hell Americans do not adopt this concept.[/QUOTE]

I believe it depends on WHICH woman is chosen. No PERSON should be chosen for their sex, religion, or ethnic background

sexysadie

Jokeroo VIP Status
[QUOTE="muchtrouble10, post: 4898422]I believe it depends on WHICH woman is chosen. No PERSON should be chosen for their sex, religion, or ethnic background[/QUOTE]

I agree, let the best woman win lol I mean 'person'

konifur

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 4898277]Who is there to oppose the Tories? Labour are in meltdown at the moment. You'd probably end up with the Scottish Nationalists as the second party.[/QUOTE]

Like i said ASAP.Labour will get the party sorted out.

Tsalagi

[QUOTE="konifur, post: 4898542]Like i said ASAP.Labour will get the party sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Quote from another thread . . .
"very much the same as has happened with the present Labour party in opposition ~ where their leader lost [by a large margin] a vote of no-confidence against him ~ but still refuses to step down."

How can they sort out the Party when they can't even sort out Jeremy Corbyn?
Angela Eagle said Mr Corbyn, who has faced numerous frontbench resignations - including her own on 27 June - was unable to hold the government to account and then replace it by winning a general election.
"Jeremy Corbyn is unable to provide the leadership this huge task needs," she said.
"These are dark times for Labour. And they are dangerous times for our country."

How can she be an eagle whilst she hath no feathers?
She's surely not from my tribe!

T

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Tsalagi, post: 4898617]
"very much the same as has happened with the present Labour party in opposition ~ where their leader lost [by a large margin] a vote of no-confidence against him ~ but still refuses to step down."

Angela Eagle said Mr Corbyn, who has faced numerous frontbench resignations - including her own on 27 June - was unable to hold the government to account and then replace it by winning a general election.
"Jeremy Corbyn is unable to provide the leadership this huge task needs," she said.
"These are dark times for Labour. And they are dangerous times for our country."

T

[/QUOTE]
The problem with Labour is the PLP (Parliamentary Labour Party), i.e. the MPs, are out of step with the members of the Labour Party, who support Jeremy Corbyn by a large majority (he was elected leader by a 40.5% majority, the largest ever). If the PLP were allowed to elect the leader it would be seen as undemocratic by the membership, election of a leader by a tiny percentage of the party.

Tsalagi

So who, exactly, is going to cast the ballots for Princess Eagle?

T

Bamber

Super Moderator
Members of the Labour Party, using a preference voting system rather than single candidate voting.

Tsalagi

[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 4898710]Members of the Labour Party, using a preference voting system rather than single candidate voting.[/QUOTE]

Sort of like our Democrat Party superdelegates?

T

likeaneagle

[QUOTE="Tsalagi, post: 4898617]

T

[/QUOTE]

leave my kin out of this please

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Tsalagi, post: 4898714]Sort of like our Democrat Party superdelegates?

T
[/QUOTE]
I have no idea how superdelegates are selected, so couldn't say.