Los Angeles dumps 20K ‘shade balls’ into reservoir to stop evaporation

sybarite

Desperate to preserve its water supply amid a four-year drought, Los Angeles is turning a reservoir into a ball pit. It may not seem like the most scientific approach, but officials say the “shade balls” will protect valuable H2O in the City of Angels.
Bringing new meaning to the term “throwing shade,” authorities claim the black, plastic balls will preserve the Van Normal reservoir’s water supply in several ways. For starters, the shade provided by the balls is expected to prevent 300 million gallons of water from evaporating annually.

“By reducing evaporation, these shade balls will conserve 300 million gallons of water each year, instead of just evaporating into the sky. That’s 300 million gallons to fight this drought,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said, as quoted by KABC News.

That’s enough to provide drinking water for 8,100 people for a full year, Councilman Mitch Englander said, according to a Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) press release.

The balls will also prevent a chemical reaction caused by the sun which is known to create a carcinogenic compound called bromate.

Read more here:

https://www.rt.com/usa/312219-shade-balls-california-drought

Good idea? Bad idea? I think using black balls is kind of racist because,"white balls matter".

TwiztedAngel

I saw this on TV. My first thought was "won't black plastic balls heat in the sun, and make water evaporate?" If they had had more brains, and used a light neutral color such as beige or light blue, it might work if they actually planned to have the idea work.

Bamber

Super Moderator
[video=youtube;tbpDfnYIKF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpDfnYIKF8[/video]

Goodgrief

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was researched and designed by professionals who know what they are doing. If you think about it, pool blankets are generally blue to attract more heat to keep it warm; letting the sun rays in. Black will not. My only concern is that the lack of sunshine might develop some bacteria. I'm not a scientist.

sybarite

Just read this:

Hollie McKay Published August 20, 2015 FoxNews.com

LA's scheme to cover a reservoir under 96 million "shade balls" may not be all it is touted to be, experts told FoxNews.com, with some critics going so far as to refer to the plan as a "potential disaster.""Black spheres resting in the hot sun will form a thermal blanket speeding evaporation as well as providing a huge amount of new surface area for the hot water to breed bacteria," said Matt MacLeod, founder of the California biotech firm Modern Moon Farms. "Disaster. It’s going to be a bacterial nightmare.”

Biologist Nathan Krekula, a professor of health science at Bryant & Stratton College in Milwaukee, said black balls will absorb heat, transfer it to the water and cause evaporation. And he agreed with MacLeod that the heat will prove hospitable to bacteria. "Bacteria required a few things to grow a dark, warm and moist environment," he said. "The balls will give them the perfect environment to live in.

"What works in backyard fish pond does not always transfer to large scale system such as this, Krekula added. "Keeping the balls clean when covered in bacteria and mold slime will be a monumental task.

Tsalagi

Maybe this will signal the ultimate end for the city of no angels!

T

sybarite

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4739373]​There could be a huge exodus back to Mexico...[/QUOTE]

Unless they are poisoned by the water first.

Goodgrief

Saw on the news that the planet has already depleted all of its resources for the year. Let me see... Climate change? Nope! Too many people on Earth and not enough gumption to increase the resources.

Unlike wild animals, humans do not know how to control the birth rate. Take wolves as a perfect example. Low prey population; low birth rate until the prey population increases.
That was proven for many years on a remote island where there were no humans. Isle Royale.
And humans think they have all the rights to destroy their living environment.

Bamber

Super Moderator
That's a whole new debate right there. Nature can control the human population. The human population get round it by artificial means and complain about overpopulation.

I feel sorry for people who want kids and can't have them, but there is a natural reason. People have as much "right" to have children as they have a "right" to grow gills and breathe underwater.

Tsalagi

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 4740083]Saw on the news that the planet has already depleted all of its resources for the year. Let me see... Climate change? Nope! Too many people on Earth and not enough gumption to increase the resources.

Unlike wild animals, humans do not know how to control the birth rate. Take wolves as a perfect example. Low prey population; low birth rate until the prey population increases.
That was proven for many years on a remote island where there were no humans. Isle Royale.
And humans think they have all the rights to destroy their living environment.

[/QUOTE]

But if we did that, the welfare mommas won't be able to have ten kids for the welfare checks.

T

Goodgrief

As I always said that the human body should be equipped with 3 hands, I also think that somewhere, deep in the brains, there should be a trigger to determine if that body has enough resources to give birth. Dumb male? Zero sperm count. Dumb female? No ovulation.