Muslims say crosses at Catholic University Violate “Human Rights”

sybarite

The Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights confirmed that it is investigating allegations that Catholic University violated the human rights of Muslim students by not allowing them to form a Muslim student group and by not providing them rooms without Christian symbols for their daily prayers.

The investigation alleges that Muslim students “must perform their prayers surrounded by symbols of Catholicism – e.g., a wooden crucifix, paintings of Jesus, pictures of priests and theologians which many Muslim students find inappropriate.”

A spokesperson for the Office of Human Rights told Fox News they had received a 60-page complaint against the private university. The investigation, they said, could take as long a six months.

The complaint was filed by John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law School. Banzhaf has been involved in previous litigation against the school involving the same-sex residence halls. He also alleged in his complaint involving Muslim students that women at the university were being discriminated against. You can read more on those allegations by clicking here.

Banzhaf said some Muslim students were particularly offended because they had to meditate in the school’s chapels “and at the cathedral that looms over the entire campus – the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.”

“It shouldn’t be too difficult somewhere on the campus for the university to set aside a small room where Muslims can pray without having to stare up and be looked down upon by a cross of Jesus,” he told Fox News.

A spokesman for Catholic University released a statement to Fox News indicating they had not seen any legal filings — but would respond once they do.

What part of, THIS IS A PRIVATE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY, did not the Muslims understand when they applied for enrollment? This takes insanity to a whole new level. Why would a Muslim apply to attend a Catholic university in the first place unless they wanted to challenge it? Sounds like Muslim plants.

squirt

Administrator
they knew what they were enrolling in and they're free to leave at any time! :sneaky2:

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 3791799]they knew what they were enrolling in and they're free to leave at any time! :sneaky2:[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't be going to that University just to do a little shit disturbing, would they?

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
The complaint was filed by John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law School. Banzhaf has been involved in previous litigation against the school involving the same-sex residence halls. He also alleged in his complaint involving Muslim students that women at the university were being discriminated against.

Banzhaf said some Muslim students were particularly offended because they had to meditate in the school’s chapels

“It shouldn’t be too difficult somewhere on the campus for the university to set aside a small room where Muslims can pray without having to stare up and be looked down upon by a cross of Jesus,” he(Banzhaf) told Fox News.

university president John Garvey acknowledged that they don’t set aside prayer rooms for Muslim students.

As for the creation of a Muslim student group, Banzhaf said the university has an association of Jewish students—so why not a Muslim group?

“I think they are entitled as a matter of law to be able to form a Muslim student association and to have the same privileges as associations,” he said

I have found nothing documenting that Banzhaf actually is representing the Muslim students as their attorney.
Mr Banzhaf is quite a character to read about.
I get the impression , that this is HIS own complaint
and agenda.

squirt

Administrator
I'm at a loss as to why a Muslim would even want to attend a *private* Catholic University? :thinking:

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal Super *Star* & all around NiceGuy
Key words here in my humble opinion is "Private University" And in there bylaws they can do whatever the heck they want too.

I think that is why those private groups do what they want to kinda like the Boy Scoots, they do not have girls in the group or Fags. Why? because it is private.

Crudebug

Not sure if this is even an issue of Human Rights..
Human Rights is something that is universally acknowleged by the community of nations, even by those who do not honour them, and pertains to the right to a life of dignity.. and the associated protections against being degraded or brutalized.

This issue has more to do with religious rights.. and that is something which is goverened by each nation’s constitution.. with more freedom and right to practice their faith in some all the way to limited to none in atheistic to theocratic countries..
some of which like China do not even officially recognize the right to worship any god, but are only tolerating this breach of policy in recent years as letting it flourish underground gave rise to fears of acquiring political overtones which could eventually threaten its supremacy…
The there are predominantly the Muslim countries which range from moderate to extreme restrictions (direct and indirect) placed on citizens from other faiths.. from severe blasphemy laws, ban on building places of worship, or build bureaucratic blocks to deter other faiths from establishing their places for religious activities.
The right to religious freedom allows one to practice his faith without taking away the privieleges of coexisting beliefs in society.
Hence a Muslim should be happy he is even allowed to pray in a PRIVATE Catholic institution, let alone demand removal of Catholic emblems he has no locus standi except as a guest.
It would just as ridiculous as a Christian hired by a company owned by a Muslim, who tells his employer to reserve space for him in the office free of Muslim symbolism.. His employer would tell him to PHUK OFF.. and right so..
The University should not mince words in telling those who are uncomfortable to board the next plane to Afghanistan.. The Talibanm would be waiting to welcome them with open arms.. Strange they do not seek to be among their likeminded radical and fundamental friends but want to mix and live with people in a country whose hated ways of life they have sworn to destroy.

Goodgrief

This has been my point in many posts.
Why should we give in to the Muslims when they are denying us our own religious freedom?

Crudebug

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 3792706]This has been my point in many posts.
Why should we give in to the Muslims when they are denying us our own religious freedom?[/QUOTE]
right on.. there should be a quid-pro-quo... a new mosque should be allowed to be built only for a corresponding church allowed in an Islamic country..

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
this is not an issue raised by Muslim students... it was raised by John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law
School.
Banzhaf has been involved in previous litigation against the school involving the same-sex residence halls.

I think he has issues with this University.

Crudebug

[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3792710]this is not an issue raised by Muslim students... it was raised by John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law
School. Banzhaf has been involved in previous litigation against the school involving the same-sex residence halls. I think he has issues with this University.[/QUOTE]

Sure, in this case, it was this nutcase.. but he took up on something which appeals to the Muslim community and you can't see them telling him to lay off..

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3792710]this is not an issue raised by Muslim students... it was raised by John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law
School.
Banzhaf has been involved in previous litigation against the school involving the same-sex residence halls.

I think he has issues with this University.[/QUOTE]

This falls under the catagory of....what do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?....a good start!!

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3792712]Sure, in this case, it was this nutcase.. but he took up on something which appeals to the Muslim community and you can't see them telling him to lay off..[/QUOTE]

and you dont see them lining up to get on his wagon either...

Crudebug

[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3793624]and you dont see them lining up to get on his wagon either...[/QUOTE]
Then it should not be an issue.. just background noise of a $hit-stirrer

sybarite

[QUOTE="Country17, post: 3792734]This falls under the catagory of....what do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?....a good start!![/QUOTE]

What does a lawyer use for birth control?

His personality.

Flynn

The new school captain of St Mary McKillop's college is a Muslim.

He says.....now that he has received acceptance he can now offer acceptance.

I take that as meaning people of White Anglo Saxon Christian heritage should give before they can receive.

Sums it up for me.

Keeping the faith - Local News - News - General - The Canberra Times

Keeping the faith - Local News - News - General - The Canberra Times

Keeping the faith

BY GRAHAM DOWNIE, RELIGION REPORTER
27 Oct, 2011 01:00 AM

Like any captain of a Catholic college, Adam Refki plays a leading role in the religious life of the school.
The difference is that he is a Muslim.

As the popularly elected school leader of Canberra's St Mary MacKillop College, Adam has found his Muslim faith has opened opportunities for interfaith dialogue.

From his exposure to Christianity through his Catholic education, he said, ''There are great parallels between the two religions''.

''I find there are a lot of similarities. It kind of makes me wonder why it seems like there is such a difference out there in the world.''

The 18-year-old said that as a Muslim with a Catholic education, he had experienced acceptance first hand.

''And having received acceptance I can now offer acceptance.''

He has found many of the students at the college are intrigued by his faith. ''I attend masses and I am reverent but I don't participate.''

His role as captain includes reading at the college's masses. Though he takes part in prayers, he does not make the sign of the cross, which has caused other students to ask why.

''I tell them I am Muslim. ... The advantage here is that I can tell them about my faith.'' Similarly, when he fasts during Ramadan, he has a further opportunity for interfaith dialogue.

College principal Michael Lee said that when Adam was elected, ''he very beautifully approached me and said, 'What is it you would want of me in terms of the faith life of the school?''' He took part to the extent he was comfortable. Mary MacKillop had worked with people of all faiths.

Mr Lee said Adam's role as captain was a tangible sign of the tolerance and inclusion of this Catholic school.

''I thought it was a great honour for us.

''I think Adam's election to our school is a gift also to the Islamic community and I was pleased our school in a small way could make that further understanding between the two communities.''

He had been elected because he was Adam, not because he was Muslim, Mr Lee said. ''In no way did we feel our Catholic identity was diluted. We were always comfortable about that.''

Goodgrief

Just wait a few more months... He will start saying: "There is only one God and his name is Allah."