New School Prayer

longwalker

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Since the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord's Prayer Are not allowed in most Public schools anymore.
Because the word 'God' is mentioned..... A kid in Arizona wrote the attached.

NEW SCHOOL PRAYER:

Now I sit me down in school.
Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.
If scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.
Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene..
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.
For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all..
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.
We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks...
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong...
We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles..
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.
It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take! Amen

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Nevermind the fact that a public school system, in itself, is unconstitutional

sybarite

[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3461736]Nevermind the fact that a public school system, in itself, is unconstitutional[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate!

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Pretty cut and dry, Syb.
Can you point to the article, in our beloved constitution, that gives government authority over our education?

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3461773]Pretty cut and dry, Syb.
Can you point to the article, in our beloved constitution, that gives government authority over our education?[/QUOTE]

Recently, in Quebec, Canada, there was a conflict between a Jesuit school and the government. The school won on the basis that the school was founded by the Catholic Jesuits for the Catholic students over 200 years ago. The government of Quebec was insisting that the school should accept students from any denomination. That school won't even accept girls (there isn't a girl in Quebec who would like to go there anyway because of the chauvinistic teachings of the Jesuits, which pretty much declare that women should be bare-foot, pregnant and in the kitchen).

Another thing that keeps bothering me; aren't all denominations believing there is only one God??? If so, why does He have so many names?
God means God, the one and only. Who came up with Manitou, Allah, Yaweh, etc.? I guess it's a language thing.

All religions adhere to the basic rules; but over the years, religions have been adding new amendments to the ten basic rules. Isn't that a man-made interpretation?

I think that the only thing that will save this world, is a personal sorting out of rules by God himself... or perhaps, herself.

pladecalvo

Keep prayers out of schools. Children spend about 6 hours a day at school and that leaves parents plenty of time to indoctrinate their unfortunate children with their belief in ancient mythology.

kipper

Super Moderator
Oh great, just what we need another religious thread...:beerandpopcorn:

BigPapa

LOL @ Kipper !! AMEN!! Preach it Brother !! :point:

I do my best NOT to get involved in the threads with a "religious" base but I will say this...... I personaly believe the right to pray to whatever God you choose to is not just an American thing but a humanity thing ! I do not push or force my beliefs on others and to the contrary am willing to defend their right to worship how they see fit ! This is a value instilled in me as an American ! I cannot speak for other countries but HERE in AMERICA...where our rights to "Freedom of Religion" and "Seperation of Church and State" are SUPPOSED to be constitutionaly protected ! I believe that if a person desires of their own free will to pray to God it is their RIGHT as a citizen of this country to do so no matter where they are , and if they are in a government run institution then their right to do so should be especially upheld as this government has no grounds to encroach on anyones religious beliefs according to the law of THIS land ! The government has no grounds to "protect" one groups rights by trample'in all over anothers......especially in religious affairs![/COLOR][/I][/B]

longwalker

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Just pointing out that the only people it's okay to discriminate against are people of religion (except muslims of course). I know all the bad things that have happened because of religion, but Hitler, Stalin, and Mao weren't religious and they caused more grief than anyone in history! Fact is there will always be tyrants and religion points that out. Simple truths can be found in most religions and they're good guidelines. Nothing to be afraid of!

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="kiki5711, post: 3462633]which God is this nation under? under the racist god of greed?[/QUOTE]

The "under God" part wasn't added to the pledge until years later

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
personally i dont like the idea of a teacher leading my child in prayer... i prefer they pray on their own in their own way.. it is not the schools,nor the governments place to determine if anyone should or when they should pray.
The "..Under God" was added in an attempt to force Jehovah's Witnesses to recite the pledge of allegence to the flag, which they felt was equivalent to idol worship. Eventually they won their case in the US supreme court.

longwalker

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3462919]personally i dont like the idea of a teacher leading my child in prayer... i prefer they pray on their own in their own way.. it is not the schools,nor the governments place to determine if anyone should or when they should pray.
The "..Under God" was added in an attempt to force Jehovah's Witnesses to recite the pledge of allegence to the flag, which they felt was equivalent to idol worship. Eventually they won their case in the US supreme court.[/QUOTE]

There has to be some form of values clarification because half of the children aren't getting any guidance at home. As a culture we need to decide an American value system and stem the chaos created by directionless kids! Even if we encourage the "golden rule" it would be better than nothing!

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
so you think its the school or governments responsibility to make sure we pray?..or teach our children religion. That is a parents job. You can have values with or without religion.

How can you say its ok to discriminate against religion(except Islam)...discrimination against anyone due to their religious beliefs is illegal and unconstitutional. However its ok if a person harbors hatred toward anyone ones religion on a personal level, except you cant burn a church , synagogue, or mosque.
and also ... Hitler and Stalin did have religious training of a sort in their childhood. Hitler went to a Catholic school and sang in the choir, and took part in his First Holy Communion on May 22,1904 He even had dreams of becoming a priest at one time.
Stalin was shcooled in a Georgian Orthadox but didnt take it serious and was often at odds with teachers.
Mao might have been raised in a traditional Buddhist manner however he rejected all religion and saw them as "the opiate of the masses"..

Last edited:

longwalker

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="indianajoe, post: 3464158]so you think its the school or governments responsibility to make sure we pray?..or teach our children religion. That is a parents job. You can have values with or without religion.

How can you say its ok to discriminate against religion(except Islam)...discrimination against anyone due to their religious beliefs is illegal and unconstitutional. However its ok if a person harbors hatred toward anyone ones religion on a personal level, except you cant burn a church , synagogue, or mosque.
and also ... Hitler and Stalin did have religious training of a sort in their childhood. Hitler went to a Catholic school and sang in the choir, and took part in his First Holy Communion on May 22,1904 He even had dreams of becoming a priest at one time.
Stalin was shcooled in a Georgian Orthadox but didnt take it serious and was often at odds with teachers.
Mao might have been raised in a traditional Buddhist manner however he rejected all religion and saw them as "the opiate of the masses"..[/QUOTE]

The government is teaching our kids and it's not to pray! Too many parents think it's the job of the government schools to do everything but tuck them into bed. Way too many kids do that by themselves.

You must not hear the ridicule of Christians by the president himself! Hitler, Stalin, and Mao didn't massacre millions in the name of religion!

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
You're right..I haven't heard the President ridicule any Christians...do you have examples of when he has done this?. You seem to be in favor of prayer in school...but then complain that teachers are not teaching them to pray...so is it the job of the school, the government, or the parents? If parents are not teaching their kids to pray..are you saying the school has the "responsibility" do so and if not them then the government must step in ?
You're right Hitler , Stalin , and Mao didn't kill people in the name of religion,...but religion has always blessed the troops of all countries..urging them to kill the "enemy".

kipper

Super Moderator
So why did Hitler kill 6 million jews? coz he didn't like their hats, maybe because he was against circumcision, or, maybe just maybe, it was to do with religion...

indianajoe

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="kipper, post: 3465900]So why did Hitler kill 6 million jews? coz he didn't like their hats, maybe because he was against circumcision, or, maybe just maybe, it was to do with religion...[/QUOTE]

interestingly.. when Hitler was a "starving artist"... there were several Jewish art dealers who tried to sell his art work. He reportedly had a good relationship with other jews who he was friends with. At some point..he began to see the jews as the reason germany's economy was failing..His thoughts of creating an Aryan master race became his obsession and thus anyone who he saw as non-Aryan were of lesser stature.
Hitler serves as a good example of where prejudice and bigotry will lead.

pladecalvo

Would the people that advocate prayer in schools be happy to see prayers to the deities of other religions too?