Obama's Milwaukee Visit

Crudebug

[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3948396]Because, the way we were constructed, originally all the power to govern resided with the individual States.
The Fed answered to the States, not the other way around like we have now. :shh:[/QUOTE]

lol.. have no quarrel with how many flags you have.. just puts the likelihood of confusion in perspective..
I go dizzy just looking at the stacks of various signal flags in the radio-room of a ship.. and I'll be damned if I remember which one is for which..

Crudebug

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 3948401]All provinces and territories in Canada have their own flag as well. And yes, it's a battle to keep the Feds out of our resources.[/QUOTE]
You'll win that battle when you have your own treasuries.. under those flags.. )))) until then, grin and bear it..

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
In fact, our state flags used to fly ABOVE the national flag except on federal lands or properties.
I don;t know when the Fed seized control of that top spot, but I'd be willing to wager that it was shortly after the war of northern aggression
:bigsmile:

Crudebug

[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3948935]In fact, our state flags used to fly ABOVE the national flag except on federal lands or properties.
I don;t know when the Fed seized control of that top spot, but I'd be willing to wager that it was shortly after the war of northern aggression
:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is because I am not an American that i fail to see the merit in that... , but in most countries, the nation supersedes the states..
You are loyal to the country first and state next.. for it is the prestige and power of the nation that empowers a state as part of that national identity.
I don;t recall people identifying themselves as for instance.. Texan first, and American later.. usually when asked where they come from, it is.. America and then when asked where from in America, would one say California, Texas, or whatever..
And this applies to any nationality.. or where would you start as basic identification? why not your village, town, city, then State and then nation...?
When asked to fill out a form in a foreign nation, you are asked for nationality as you hold a passport signifying exactly that.. your states never issued you local passports for domestic travel, did they?

And national identity unifies a population.. bad enough we have humanity fragmented on national lines.. and then local states.. never mind the divisions of the human race along caste, creed, colour.. etc
Why be ashamed of prioritizing an identity as a national citizen, and then sub classify as whatever state or town you wanna be known to be from.. and then .. would people born there have a greater right to those who moved there, knowing that citizens should not be restricted from moving to any territory on the soil of the country they belong to..

To me, this leads to parochialism and nowhere is the fatality of such destructive divisions more manifest than in India where states were divided on linguistic lines, further accentuating a local identity to the point where people from one state fight on border claims, as though they were nations at war.. and blood continues to be spilled even today, when violence flares up.

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3948729]You'll win that battle when you have your own treasuries.. under those flags.. )))) until then, grin and bear it..[/QUOTE]

Although we are part of a country, provinces own the mineral/water rights on their land.
We also have our own laws, providing their are in accordance with the rest of the country (but with some differences); the best example is Quebec. Its laws are from the Napoleon code. No other province has that as a basis. Therefore, a Quebec lawyer aspiring to practice outside of Quebec has to challenge a very difficult exam or go back to law school outside of Quebec or vice versa.

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Because of greed and corruption in our federal government, and some or our state governments, the people as a whole are starting to see what is happening and are starting to rebel. And it is not a north or south thing.

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="Country17, post: 3949689]Because of greed and corruption in our federal government, and some or our state governments, the people as a whole are starting to see what is happening and are starting to rebel. And it is not a north or south thing.[/QUOTE]

In our case, it would be a West vs East case! LOL!

Crudebug

[QUOTE="Country17, post: 3949689]Because of greed and corruption in our federal government, and some or our state governments, the people as a whole are starting to see what is happening and are starting to rebel. And it is not a north or south thing.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 3949694]In our case, it would be a West vs East case! LOL![/QUOTE]

the 99% ?

Crudebug

[QUOTE="Goodgrief, post: 3949665]Although we are part of a country, provinces own the mineral/water rights on their land.
We also have our own laws, providing their are in accordance with the rest of the country (but with some differences); the best example is Quebec. Its laws are from the Napoleon code. No other province has that as a basis. Therefore, a Quebec lawyer aspiring to practice outside of Quebec has to challenge a very difficult exam or go back to law school outside of Quebec or vice versa.
[/QUOTE]

Your case is unique.. you allowed a nation to grow within a nation and are now paying the price by way of demands from autonomy to independence..
gonna be a long and slow grind to an end game in which neither side is guaranteed to be satisfied

Vinnie

Here we have city and county flags and coats of arms. We even have the Lord Lyon, King of Arms to keep track of things. Want your own set? Contact him direct.

Crudebug

[QUOTE="Vinnie, post: 3949905]Here we have city and county flags and coats of arms. We even have the Lord Lyon, King of Arms to keep track of things. Want your own set? Contact him direct.[/QUOTE]
Sure.. emblems and logos are all part of building pyramids of identity...but at the top of the totem pole sits national symbols as its crowning glory..

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3949047]Maybe it is because I am not an American that i fail to see the merit in that... , but in most countries, the nation supersedes the states..
You are loyal to the country first and state next.. for it is the prestige and power of the nation that empowers a state as part of that national identity.
I don;t recall people identifying themselves as for instance.. Texan first, and American later.. usually when asked where they come from, it is.. America and then when asked where from in America, would one say California, Texas, or whatever..
And this applies to any nationality.. or where would you start as basic identification? why not your village, town, city, then State and then nation...?
When asked to fill out a form in a foreign nation, you are asked for nationality as you hold a passport signifying exactly that.. your states never issued you local passports for domestic travel, did they?

And national identity unifies a population.. bad enough we have humanity fragmented on national lines.. and then local states.. never mind the divisions of the human race along caste, creed, colour.. etc
Why be ashamed of prioritizing an identity as a national citizen, and then sub classify as whatever state or town you wanna be known to be from.. and then .. would people born there have a greater right to those who moved there, knowing that citizens should not be restricted from moving to any territory on the soil of the country they belong to..

To me, this leads to parochialism and nowhere is the fatality of such destructive divisions more manifest than in India where states were divided on linguistic lines, further accentuating a local identity to the point where people from one state fight on border claims, as though they were nations at war.. and blood continues to be spilled even today, when violence flares up.[/QUOTE]

It all goes back to my previous post.
Our national government wasn't meant to have the power it so hungrily enjoys today.

That's why we were previously referred to as "THESE United States".

Except for the narrow list of powers granted to the federal government, all other things are supposed to be decided by the individual state.

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3949885]Your case is unique.. you allowed a nation to grow within a nation and are now paying the price by way of demands from autonomy to independence..
gonna be a long and slow grind to an end game in which neither side is guaranteed to be satisfied[/QUOTE]

Not unique. The Netherlands has a similar situation, the only difference is that it is a very small country. Spain has the Basques.

Having lived in Quebec for 27 years, I have seen both sides of the story. Water power brought many industries in the province. Paper and pulp mills, aluminum smelters, etc.
The resentment grew stronger in the early 1900s when these industries staffed the upper management with English speaking people. Some of them never even learned a single word of French in all the years they lived in that area while many Quebecois were bilingual (and many capable of being part of the upper management). That was not a very wise decision on the companies' part. They tried to reverse the situation, but by doing so, they alienated valuable potential help from the rest of the country. (Yeah, they screwed up!)
Of course, the separatists are using propaganda to make Quebecers believe that Quebec is the only vital part of Canada. They go so far as to claim that whatever Canadian Military Forces based in Quebec will be theirs.
The truth is; when it comes to Transfer Payments, Quebec receives 8 billions a year from all the other provinces while the other have-nots only get a minimal fraction.

If Quebec ever finds enough money to separate (that's not going to happen any time soon), the rest of Canada will heave a sigh of relief.
I still have family there. To most of them, I am a traitor. Frankly, my dear cousins, I don't give a damn!

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Country17, post: 3946065]
There is a small percentage of americans ( about 10% and growing) who realize what our government is doing to us. It's not like they are hiding it, most people have horse blinders on. Every victory we won? Every war we have fought for freedom is being taken away from us by our own government. When the federal government can raid (with guns drawn)organic and raw milk producers and dump thousands of gallons of milk on the ground, destroy fruits and vegtables and jail the participants, there is something very wrong. And 90% of americans don't even raise an eyebrow! This happened in three different states within the last year. This is the Boston Tea Party in reverse from our own government to it's own people. Sooner than later, I think, the people in this country are going to wake up and have their own Washington DC Tea Party.
[/QUOTE]

a huge percentage of Americans have been so dumb down with priorities such as watching "snookie" "the Kardashians" and all those other brain numbing shows. Then these same people come out during an election, and vote for the one that had the most brain washing advertising on tv, and believe every thing they hear.

likeaneagle

[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3950058]Sure.. emblems and logos are all part of building pyramids of identity...but at the top of the totem pole sits national symbols as its crowning glory..[/QUOTE]who died and made u king??:pillowfight:

Goodgrief

[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3950058]Sure.. emblems and logos are all part of building pyramids of identity...but at the top of the totem pole sits national symbols as its crowning glory..[/QUOTE]

Top of the totem pole is a misnomer. The most important figure of a totem pole sits at the very bottom.

whois

"Ok, you may not like your `Got no clue President'.. but when I look at his challengers, it is either `Mr Moneybags Pinkslip Romney' or `Simpleton Santorum'. are you sure you want them to replace him?
Think twice.. or maybe more... you may probably think.. better the devil you know for the next four years than the devils you don't..
You might forgive him for not recognizing a flag, in case you find yourself seeing red, when the Republicans wave a red rag in front of your eyes and repeal what little benefits are still left for you to enjoy...
Romney did not make his money by being charitable.. so don't expect him to be on the same planet as those struggling to make ends meet, pay bills, buy medications.. etc..
Till you find a candidate with more understanding and empathy than the current race has thrown up, you better hold back on your cusses for the incumbent."

Did you have a better opinion of the "Mr. Super Moneybags" (John Kerry, born into wealth (Forbes), married richer (Heinz)) who ran for president in 2004? See John Kerry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Country17

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="kiki5711, post: 3954602]a huge percentage of Americans have been so dumb down with priorities such as watching "snookie" "the Kardashians" and all those other brain numbing shows. Then these same people come out during an election, and vote for the one that had the most brain washing advertising on tv, and believe every thing they hear.[/QUOTE]

You absolutely right Kiki, all the BS coming out of the politicians' mouth is just that....BS. Half the noise coming out is bashing their opponent and the other half is promises they don't keep anyway. I look at their past records and I think we are in trouble!

Vinnie