Pakistani Forces Arrest CIA Informants Who Led U.S. to Usama Bin Laden

sybarite

Published June 15, 2011
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Pakistan's intelligence service has arrested the owner of a safe house rented to the CIA to observe Usama bin Laden's compound before the U.S. raid that killed the Al Qaeda leader, as well as a "handful" of other Pakistanis, a U.S. official said late Tuesday.

In Pakistan, a Western official confirmed a New York Times report that five of the Pakistani informants who fed information to the CIA before the May 2 bin Laden raid were arrested by Pakistan's top military spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence agency, known as ISI.

The officials spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence matters.

The Times, in an article posted on its website late Tuesday, said the detained informants included a Pakistani army major who officials said copied the license plates of cars visiting bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad in the weeks before the raid.

IMO this just confirms suspicions Pakistan is not our ally and can't be trusted. If they arrested the informants, they must have been harboring Bin Laden all along.

Crudebug

Pak never was an ally, honey.. and always plays a double and triple role.. It is like a nation which is genetically treacherous..
I have time and again said that asking Pak to join the war of terror was asking a mother to kill its own children and Al Qaeda was midwifed by the ISI and it's own brats which were trained with a pone-point program of destabilizing Kashmir and India, joined forces. There was no chance in hell they were going to give him up, while at the same time milking money from the West to the tune of billions ot keep their country from becoming a failed state like Somalia.
At first they bragged they were party to the Osama killing, but when the US did not support their claim, they not only ended up with egg on their faces, but were livid for a reason not spoken in the press for many reasons: Indian RAW agents were instrumental in being the eyes and ears on the ground, as India and Pakistan have a wide-spread network of spies in each other countries.
RAW was keeping tabs on Dawood who was behind the 26-11 Mumbai attack with the help of Laskhar who in turn drew from ISI, Haqqani and Al Qaeda. The courier tailed by CIA was being tracked by RAW's Pakistani mole. CIA agents themselves were too conspicuous and had to tap the Indian Intelligence which was waiting to be asked.
The Indian govt has kept silent about the involvement as it served no purpose but when Pak discovered the Indian hand, it started mopping up suspected agents.
News may have broken today on AP, but these arrests were known for more than a fortnight in India, (in fact, a couple of them (rumored to be women) were picked up from Kashmir.
There is apprehension that India will eliminate Dawood and a couple of high ranking Laskhar commanders and security has been very tight around them. In fact ISI has assigned commandos to protect these high profile fugitives. Funny part is the underworld is running scared in Mumbai since Osama was killed and it is from there where these fears are being expressed.

Despite Pak fears of a hit on their soil, the Indian government has neither the nerve to replicate the Osama strike, nor the stomach to get caught up in yet another war for a relatively small gain.
However, with more leaks expected, the RAW connection t the Osama strike is expected to be a ticking time-bomb in US-Pak relations, a boat it does not want to rock for the moment while engaged in Afghanistan.

But if and when this does becomes public knowledge, Pak will no longer be able to contain the local anger which is steeped in hatred towards India, and this will make the US situation there very precarious. The fears raised about atomic weapons falling into radical hands is not far fetched and very real, especially with extremists embedded in the ranks of the ISI right to the very top.
Calling Pakistan an ally is like sleeping with a nest of vipers in your bed.
Problem is the options are bleak. By pampering them for years, the US and UK are now damned if they do and damned if they don't in whatever they do with Pak.
Being their most hated neighbors, few are more keen on watching developments there, than India.

Another angle which is even more dangerous are rumors that Osama was alive when taken and he was defiled, desecrated and mutilated on board before being buried at sea. This is said to be the main reason why pic were not released. his wife too claimed he was alive when taken. As these whispers gain ground the potential for recruiting radical elements for revenge increases.
Most of the `informants' will soon be denounced as Indian spies, as happens in such cases, but the only hesitation in declaring them as such stems from the uncertainty of the Pak establishment in blaming India and seeing it become a double edged sword. India is expected to deny any involvement, but once the blame game starts, escalation is unpredictable.

Flynn

Afghanistan, India and Pakistan, I don't trust the governments of those countries nor their military personnel and basically I don't trust the citizens of those countries either.

In the animal kingdom they would be the hyenas, jackals and vultures.

Crudebug

[QUOTE="Flynn, post: 3696715]Afghanastan, India and Pakistan, I don't trust the governments of those countries nor their military personell and basically I don't trust the citizens of those countries either. In the animal kingdom they would be the hyenas, jackals and vultures.[/QUOTE]
tsk, tsk.. doesn't take long for the brew of bitter prejudice to spill from the Australian bottle of bile..
funny when a baby-chewing dingo barks from the other side of the world.. howling in vain at the moon.. lapping up its own venomous vomit of corrosive hate...

sybarite

[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3696711]Pak never was an ally, honey.. and always plays a double and triple role.. It is like a nation which is genetically treacherous..
I have time and again said that asking Pak to join the war of terror was asking a mother to kill its own children and Al Qaeda was midwifed by the ISI and it's own brats which were trained with a pone-point program of destabilizing Kashmir and India, joined forces. There was no chance in hell they were going to give him up, while at the same time milking money from the West to the tune of billions ot keep their country from becoming a failed state like Somalia.
At first they bragged they were party to the Osama killing, but when the US did not support their claim, they not only ended up with egg on their faces, but were livid for a reason not spoken in the press for many reasons: Indian RAW agents were instrumental in being the eyes and ears on the ground, as India and Pakistan have a wide-spread network of spies in each other countries.
RAW was keeping tabs on Dawood who was behind the 26-11 Mumbai attack with the help of Laskhar who in turn drew from ISI, Haqqani and Al Qaeda. The courier tailed by CIA was being tracked by RAW's Pakistani mole. CIA agents themselves were too conspicuous and had to tap the Indian Intelligence which was waiting to be asked.
The Indian govt has kept silent about the involvement as it served no purpose but when Pak discovered the Indian hand, it started mopping up suspected agents.
News may have broken today on AP, but these arrests were known for more than a fortnight in India, (in fact, a couple of them (rumored to be women) were picked up from Kashmir.
There is apprehension that India will eliminate Dawood and a couple of high ranking Laskhar commanders and security has been very tight around them. In fact ISI has assigned commandos to protect these high profile fugitives. Funny part is the underworld is running scared in Mumbai since Osama was killed and it is from there where these fears are being expressed.

Despite Pak fears of a hit on their soil, the Indian government has neither the nerve to replicate the Osama strike, nor the stomach to get caught up in yet another war for a relatively small gain.
However, with more leaks expected, the RAW connection t the Osama strike is expected to be a ticking time-bomb in US-Pak relations, a boat it does not want to rock for the moment while engaged in Afghanistan.

But if and when this does becomes public knowledge, Pak will no longer be able to contain the local anger which is steeped in hatred towards India, and this will make the US situation there very precarious. The fears raised about atomic weapons falling into radical hands is not far fetched and very real, especially with extremists embedded in the ranks of the ISI right to the very top.
Problem is the options are bleak. By pampering them for years, the US and UK are now damned if they do and damned if they don't in whatever they do with Pak.
Being their most hated neighbors, few are more keen on watching developments there, than India.

Another angle which is even more dangerous are rumors that Osama was alive when taken and he was defiled, desecrated and mutilated on board before being buried at sea. This is said to be the main reason why pic were not released. his wife too claimed he was alive when taken. As these whispers gain ground the potential for recruiting radical elements for revenge increases.
Most of the `informants' will soon be denounced as Indian spies, as happens in such cases, but the only hesitation in declaring them as such stems from the uncertainty of the Pak establishment in blaming India and seeing it become a double edged sword. India is expected to deny any involvement, but once the blame game starts, escalation is unpredictable.[/QUOTE]

Ally was not the right word to use. How about untrustworthy temporary alliance? Thus the saying, "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

sybarite

[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3696711]Pak never was an ally, honey.. and always plays a double and triple role.. It is like a nation which is genetically treacherous..

Most of the `informants' will soon be denounced as Indian spies, as happens in such cases, but the only hesitation in declaring them as such stems from the uncertainty of the Pak establishment in blaming India and seeing it become a double edged sword. India is expected to deny any involvement, but once the blame game starts, escalation is unpredictable.[/QUOTE]

Ally was not the right word to use. How about untrustworthy, temporary alliance? Thus the saying, "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

kipper

Super Moderator
Lets cut the crap and the personal comments. It's Syb's thread don't ruin it for her.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="kipper, post: 3696779]Lets cut the crap and the personal comments. It's Syb's thread don't ruin it for her.[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap:

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
[QUOTE="kipper, post: 3696779]Lets cut the crap and the personal comments. It's Syb's thread don't ruin it for her.[/QUOTE]

Well said, Kipper!

jmdobson

The Pakistani government and military have to do something, as they now have egg on their faces. They are also trapped by their very own nukes, as they would become pariahs and ostracized from the world community, if not outright destroyed, should terrorists come into possession of these nukes. Also, well said Mr. Bug.

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Funny how the only way were able to get UBL was to *Not* tell Pakistan our plans.

What does it say about a country that would arrest those responsible for facilitating it.

I remember a guy saying, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Crudebug

Kips, is there a thread where Flynn does not make specific comments towards countries from the subcontinent. For a long time, I used to let it ride, but now when he makes an unwarranted comment which merits a reply, it will come, No offense to anyone, no matter whose thread it is, but if he can't restrain his racially derisive and derogatory remarks, there will be a reply and whether it is kept or swept of the board is not important. I won't start any diatribe, but neither will I let any snide or overt jibes ride. Do you see me hotting out at anyone else? And except in one instance where I baited him, I have always responded and never started this shit. Not something I like either, but I'll be damned if he can sling mud at will and not have the fan turned in his face.

Crudebug

[QUOTE="jmdobson, post: 3696900]The Pakistani government and military have to do something, as they now have egg on their faces. They are also trapped by their very own nukes, as they would become pariahs and ostracized from the world community, if not outright destroyed, should terrorists come into possession of these nukes. Also, well said Mr. Bug.[/QUOTE]
Militants can waltz into highly secured bases at will.. if anyone thinks the nukes are secure, they better think again...
Continued possession as well as enhancement of the arsenal as well as proliferation ties to China, North Korea and Iran from a country which is the breeding ground for terrorists, the cradle of fundamentalism and the nursery of suicide bombers, makes Pakistan a clear and present danger for not only the US and India, but the world at large.
Delay in recognition of this fact will be at our own peril, and in the not too distant future.

Flynn

My comments were not personal.

I did not make it personal; I left that job for another member.

In fact my comments impugned three nations of people not one person.

When there is a discussion about Pakistan it is relevant to include Afghanistan and India.

The government members of those countries are corrupt. Our Western societies have problems with electing the wrong people into power but it is not “ The Norm “ that our politicians are dishonest.

Syb would have more reason to concerned about my posts about America than the original post I made to this thread.

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Crudebug, post: 3697207]Kips, is there a thread where Flynn does not make specific comments towards countries from the subcontinent. For a long time, I used to let it ride, but now when he makes an unwarranted comment which merits a reply, it will come, No offense to anyone, no matter whose thread it is, but if he can't restrain his racially derisive and derogatory remarks, there will be a reply and whether it is kept or swept of the board is not important. I won't start any diatribe, but neither will I let any snide or overt jibes ride. Do you see me hotting out at anyone else? And except in one instance where I baited him, I have always responded and never started this shit. Not something I like either, but I'll be damned if he can sling mud at will and not have the fan turned in his face.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Flynn, post: 3697333]My comments were not personal.

I did not make it personal; I left that job for another member.

In fact my comments impugned three nations of people not one person.

When there is a discussion about Pakistan it is relevant to include Afghanistan and India.

The government members of those countries are corrupt. Our Western societies have problems with electing the wrong people into power but it is not “ The Norm “ that our politicians are dishonest.

Syb would have more reason to concerned about my posts about America than the original post I made to this thread.
[/QUOTE]

I realise you two are never going to be on each others Christmas card lists, however, there is no need for personal comments in debate and they will be deleted from here on in. You wanna play 'my dads bigger than your dad' do it in PM's and Emails and not on the boards.

Crudebug

[QUOTE="kipper, post: 3697336]I realise you two are never going to be on each others Christmas card lists, however, there is no need for personal comments in debate and they will be deleted from here on in. You wanna play 'my dads bigger than your dad' do it in PM's and Emails and not on the boards.[/QUOTE]
Kips, am not playing a oneupmanship game with Flynn.
I reply to posts in any thread with respect and playfully tease those who do not take offence.
But am not one to let derogatory and contemptuous comments slide, especially when the vitriol is consistent and targeted. Such a post will find a fitting rejoinder with the disdain it deserves.
To the same person(s), I would yet reply politely where decorum and decency is displayed. I do not keep grudges and despite the appearance it is not personal. Just standing up to onslaughts hurled out of context. At least, by reacting, I will ensure such contemptuous post will be swept away with the reaction it generates from me.
Am not making any thread a battlefield, but I'll be damned if staying silent or being polite is read as meekness or weakness when taunted.by incorrigible prejudice and derogatory language.
I assure you I will not initiate such exchanges, but won't hesitate to join issue where provoked.

Crudebug

[QUOTE="hortysir, post: 3697114]Funny how the only way were able to get UBL was to *Not* tell Pakistan our plans.
What does it say about a country that would arrest those responsible for facilitating it.
I remember a guy saying, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."[/QUOTE]

Pakistan was born in a bloodbath and still bleeds from symptoms it refuses to treat and come to terms with.
There is an obsession with India being out to decimate it. So the terrorists its breeds were not meant to attack Americans or other Western citizens.
In fact, Pakistan was always an American ally even as India swung to Russia, especially when the 7th fleet was deployed in the 1971 war with Pakistan.

What happened in the recent past was that these training grounds for Kashmiri insurgents were used by Al Qaeda as they found ready infrastructure in a willing country.
Soon they started recruiting and brainwashing those joining to liberate Kashmir with a broader agenda to bolster their own causes and from these camps, Pakistani recruits along with trainees from Yemen, Somalia, etc began to see a wider target than India in a bigger campaign, which shifted from a focused agenda on India to a vague jihad against the West.
And therein lies the tale of how the Americans who tried to use a tiger cub by the tail in Afghanistan, discovered that another trainer (Al Qaeda) won the loyalty of the tiger of terrorism when it was full grown.. and this beast is now preying on the mentors who gave it its fangs (weapons).

Flynn

[QUOTE="kipper, post: 3697336]I realise you two are never going to be on each others Christmas card lists, however, there is no need for personal comments in debate and they will be deleted from here on in. You wanna play 'my dads bigger than your dad' do it in PM's and Emails and not on the boards.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that Crudebug was that emotionally affected by anything I post.

I have had him on ignore for months, unless a member directly quotes from him I rarely read what he posts.

Point taken though about personal comments, I'll continue to ignore his posts and moderate my own behaviour.

I think it was Brilor posted on the Andy Murray thread to say that ignorance is bliss. It was for me.

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Flynn, post: 3697366]I didn't know that Crudebug was that emotionally affected by anything I post.

I have had him on ignore for months, unless a member directly quotes from him I rarely read what he posts.

Point taken though about personal comments, I'll continue to ignore his posts and moderate my own behaviour.

I think it was Brilor posted on the Andy Murray thread to say that ignorance is bliss. It was for me.

[/QUOTE]

By that criteria God made a lot of blissful people

Crudebug

Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen and Defense Secretary Robert Gates warned Wednesday that the United States must continue to work with Pakistan as a partner despite years of mistrust, (urging no reduction in aid to the Pakistan military, which is essentially controlled by the ISI).
Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, asked Gates how long the United States should support "governments that lie to us," adding: "When do we say enough is enough?"
Gates responded that "based on 27 years in the CIA and four and a half years in this job, most governments lie to each other. That's the way business gets done."
"Do they also arrest the people that help us when they say they are allies?" Leahy asked, in clear reference to Pakistan's actions against officials who helped the U.S. raid on bin Laden's compound.
"Sometimes," Gates said, "and sometimes they send people to spy on us and they are our close allies."

With friends like these, does America need enemies?