Should President BO tell the British people how to vote on staying in Europe?

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
It's very rare for me to get involved in this thread ~ but have noticed that it's just a bit quiet ~ so thought I throw a spanner in the works.
Bearing in mind the 'golden rule' for world leaders, never to comment publicly on another countries elections etc ~ should the President have told the people of my country to vote to stay in the EU?
I'll just sit back now and let you guys decide!!

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
Only if your people asked my people for advice. Seriously, if folks at ALL levels, would just mind their own business, the world would run a lot smoother.

Vinnie

Yes. He was expressing a matter of interest to the US.
He was also performing a service to Dave in No 10 as well. He will have been asked to do this by the government and complied as it fitted with his countries interests.

It is strange, we seem to be up in arms about this (or someof us are), whilenothing is said of the castigation that Donald Trump has reieved from this side of the pond, and that is an election of a person rather than a plabiscite on an issue.

konifur

Jokeroo Enthusiast
I honestly don`t give a shit.
I make my own mind up either way.
I way up the pros and cons and vote what i think is best for me .

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
I think everyone has the right to express his opinion. That's what free speech is all about. It is up to us how much weight we put on the opinions we hear. Hopefully, if we listen to lots of opinions we will get enough facts to make an informed decision.

squirt

Administrator
ok ... IF he was asked, and IF it had bearing on the USA, I can see where he might have and give an opinion
I can also see where that opinion wouldn't carry much weight with the UK

just as the opinion of Trump over there won't carry much weight over here
that side of the pond loved Obama *at first*

Vinnie

I think the majority of voters have made their minds up already and have doen so for what may well be the wrong reasons.
There is no surrender of sovereignty. If the UK wishes to pull out, they can do so. If they wish to remain part of the club then they have to play by the rules.
As to massed immigration, without the EU, most of our services and service industries would collapse. We need the workers.
If anyone thinks that pulling out will solve the migrsant crisis, then they are sadly mistaken. That will continue (and get worse) as instability moves closer to Europe. If we pull out, it gives less imetus on the French to cooperate rather than just hastening the migrants out of their country into the UK.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Well ~ it's very interesting to see the various replies, and thoughts on this issue.
I don't think that the 'sovereignty' thing is that much of a problem.
BUT ~ I do think that the Supreme Court of the UK ~ can be overridden by a court outside our country, is a problem.
Also ~ and speaking to my friends in the States ~ how would you like to have completely open boarders to 28 countries ~ who's people can just walk into the country?
Which leads us onto security ~ the States have a very tight control on whoever wants to enter ~ because there are no boarders within the EU ~ and with terrorists getting easily into anyone of the 28 countries ~ and coupled with fake passports ~ next to useless controls with most of the officials in those countries ~ they can roam at will.

There are some sound reasons for staying [certainly] but there are some serious thoughts about leaving and beginning to control all that takes place in the UK ~ problems? ~ yes of course there will be ~ but an island doesn't get any bigger than the land it has ~ and with the huge influx of people we have had over the last few years ~ the strain on things like housing, health care etc is now beginning to cause serious problems.

I have no idea how the people here will vote ~ but I think it will be a very close call.

brilor

Jokeroo Legend
I am slowly leaning towards voting to leave. I want the UK to have more control over its borders!

sybarite

ok ... IF he was asked, and IF it had bearing on the USA, I can see where he might have and give an opinion
I can also see where that opinion wouldn't carry much weight with the UK

just as the opinion of Trump over there won't carry much weight over here
that side of the pond loved Obama *at first*[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Yep, what she said!

Vinnie

[QUOTE="brilor, post: 4869108]I am slowly leaning towards voting to leave. I want the UK to have more control over its borders![/QUOTE]

The UK has control over it's borders. It cannot deny, without reason, the entry of another EU citizen but those reasons can be fairly spurious.
The governemnt chooses not to control the borders for reasons of cost and convenience. Do you really want to have a three hour queue to clear customs at Dover?

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Romford Lad, post: 4869104]Well ~ it's very interesting to see the various replies, and thoughts on this issue.
I don't think that the 'sovereignty' thing is that much of a problem.
BUT ~ I do think that the Supreme Court of the UK ~ can be overridden by a court outside our country, is a problem.
Also ~ and speaking to my friends in the States ~ how would you like to have completely open boarders to 28 countries ~ who's people can just walk into the country?
Which leads us onto security ~ the States have a very tight control on whoever wants to enter ~ because there are no boarders within the EU ~ and with terrorists getting easily into anyone of the 28 countries ~ and coupled with fake passports ~ next to useless controls with most of the officials in those countries ~ they can roam at will.

There are some sound reasons for staying [certainly] but there are some serious thoughts about leaving and beginning to control all that takes place in the UK ~ problems? ~ yes of course there will be ~ but an island doesn't get any bigger than the land it has ~ and with the huge influx of people we have had over the last few years ~ the strain on things like housing, health care etc is now beginning to cause serious problems.

I have no idea how the people here will vote ~ but I think it will be a very close call.
[/QUOTE]
I'm being off topic, and please don't think me picky Peter, but is the spelling of "boarders" rather than "borders" a Freudian slip?

Bamber

Super Moderator
Seriously. A person from another country telling people how to vote should not be acceptable. Giving an opinion on how he would prefer the vote to go however is perfectly acceptable.

Don't get me started on housing and health: the problems there were easily predictable decades ago and caused by the short termism of successive governments, but twas ever thus.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Bamber, post: 4870371]I'm being off topic, and please don't think me picky Peter, but is the spelling of "boarders" rather than "borders" a Freudian slip?
[/QUOTE]

Oh Phil my dear friend ~ yes I think so ~ probably thought I was back at school as I was writing.....