Should tips be split with all waitstaff?

sybarite

We were up north at a pub this weekend and I saw that all of the waitstaff were putting their tips in one jar. One waitress was texting on her cell phone while customers were waiting for service and one waitress was working her tail off. So you have everybody taking out of the tip jar even though you don't earn your share. I would not want to work in a place where I don't get to keep my own tips. Does anyone have a job where you have to split tips and how do you deal with it?

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 3701238]We were up north at a pub this weekend and I saw that all of the waitstaff were putting their tips in one jar. One waitress was texting on her cell phone while customers were waiting for service and one waitress was working her tail off. So you have everybody taking out of the tip jar even though you don't earn your share. I would not want to work in a place where I don't get to keep my own tips. Does anyone have a job where you have to split tips and how do you deal with it?[/QUOTE]

Used to do the same when I was bar working after I just got married, all tips went in the jar. It always worked out ok coz the girl staff got bought more drinks than the men staff as men customers usually bought the drinks. We used to do most of the cellar work and stocking up and leave the girls to serve. Worked out pretty good, however if someone was not pulling their weight then they would be reminded of it pronto.

Tsalagi

When I started college I worked a summer as a busboy in a Mexican restaurant for $0.65 an hour. All of the waitresses were constantly demanding that I bus their table first so they could fill it again. Did I ever see a sharing of tips? Hell, no!

T

squirt

Administrator
as a customer, I don't like the notion of tip sharing at all! when I tip, I'm telling my server that he or she did a great job of keeping me happy, or a poor job if that was the case - and I don't expect any of that money to go to anyone else!

however ... there are instances where I can understand tip sharing, my son waited tables for years and years and in some of the places he worked, the wait staff worked together to get it done, some behind the scenes that were assigned tasks to help the wait staff work more efficiently and no opportunity to work one on one with the customers and earn tips, since it took them all to get it done, I can understand sharing the tips!

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Some years ago...at a golf club I was a member of [not todays one] they had a very simple rule...and it worked...every time a member bought a round of drinks...they would say "and yourself"...and always they took 20p....later it went up to 50p ...but the thing was that 'every member' always said 'and yourself' so over the week [although small] the money mounted up...and at the end of each week...it was shared out between all those who had be working....the Club Steward told me that he didn't take any of it...because it made up the money for those who looked after the members and didn't get a huge amount as a weekly income

Vinnie

We have communal tips.
I don't take any.
The essence of a good place is teamwork. No matter how good the waitress is if the kitchen doesn['t have plates to put the food on then the service will not be good.
The collorary of this is that you hacve to enable and encourage the staff to sort things out between themselves.

Flynn

It basically comes down to the fact that without the people preparing the food, waiting staff wouldn't get any tips.

America seems to have a system where the waiting staff rely on tips because of their low wages.

kipper

Super Moderator
At least tips are optional. Some of our eatery's add a service charge to your bill, WTF is that all about? They want you to pay for them to serve you food which you've already paid for, yet if you say don't bother I'll cook it myself, bring my own knife and fork, and sit on the floor and eat it off a tray they won't let you...Might be easier to eat at home which a lot of restaurants are finding out to their cost...

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
I'm pleased to say that tipping is NOT considered the norm in most English pubs and restaurants. As Kipper and Bamber have said, it is quite common for a large group ordering a round to include a small amount (I agree with the 50p, though maybe £1 now) to the person who serves them, and that would normally be put into a jar to be shared by all the staff. Anyone not pulling their weight is not a problem of the tipping system - it's simply lack of management, and the manager should be made to pay the price, not the system.

Goodgrief

We frequently go to a bar/grill where at the end of the evening, the tips are allocated by percentage. 10% for the kitchen staff, 10% for the busboys, the rest for the waiting staff. The bartender doesn't have any part of it because he is already floating in tips from the patrons sitting at the bar.

Ms.Diablo50

I too worked in a very nice swanky (will remain nameless) dinner/club in Chicago, We did not share our tips. We did NOT get paid by the owner we PAID HIM nightly. We also made enough in tips to generously tip our busboys/busgirls nightly. The cooks got paid a extordinary well by the ownerl so we all were happy. It showed in the food the service and the ambiance The girls who were slackers only hurt themselves and never lasted more than a few days, The busboys/busgirls knew who's table to bust and when the nights were over they/we all went home happy....It's not fair to share tips with people who don't pull their own weight and now I have to give a percentage to lazy loafers??? I think NOT !! If I waited on that table I get the tip not the bubblegum chewing bimbo hiding out in the loo talking on her cell.........:fingerwag:

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal Super *Star* & all around NiceGuy
No! My daughter was a waitdress at Denny's and I don't think they do there. I do know that she did share her tips with the cooks that got her meals out right away for her to do better service. LOL! See guess I did raise a pretty smart kid. Ha!

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
A lot of this question seems to revolve around what proportion of the total income is from tips. I'm glad to say that the law here was changed a while back to say that tips could NOT be counted when calculating wages. ALL staff have to be paid at least minimum wage rates, and such tips as they receive will be on top. My personal opinion is that tips shouldn't amount to more than around 5% of any person's income. A successful business owner will pay the staff adequately, to ensure that customers get good service. Good service shouldn't be a bonus, it should be a right!

Ms.Diablo50

[QUOTE="Geoff_the_Beard, post: 3701450]A lot of this question seems to revolve around what proportion of the total income is from tips. I'm glad to say that the law here was changed a while back to say that tips could NOT be counted when calculating wages. ALL staff have to be paid at least minimum wage rates, and such tips as they receive will be on top. My personal opinion is that tips shouldn't amount to more than around 5% of any person's income. A successful business owner will pay the staff adequately, to ensure that customers get good service. Good service shouldn't be a bonus, it should be a right![/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you on this one.. "customer service" is what makes the business great. I didn't mind paying the owner to work for him cause I knew that by me paying him to work I had to make that $ back in tips which in turn gave me incentive to shake a leg and give 110% to my customers and buliding up a steady clientel of people. who came for the food and my service as a waitress... Always smiling and cheerful thats how I got the name sweets. & I often bought my regular customers a drink or two while they waited on the duck dinners which took a little longer to cook than other dinners per say...............

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
I've several times worked as "self-employed" . I never received any tips for that work. It was essential to me to provide a good service, so that word would spread that I was worth the rates I charged.

Ms.Diablo50

[QUOTE="Geoff_the_Beard, post: 3701460]I've several times worked as "self-employed" . I never received any tips for that work. It was essential to me to provide a good service, so that word would spread that I was worth the rates I charged.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll bite.. lol lol You got my curiosity sparked, what services did you give?

Geoff_the_Beard

Jokeroo Legend
Nothing to do with the catering trade! I've worked, self-employed as a plumber, and electrician and a DJ among other things.
I earned most money as self-employed as a sheet-metal worker. (My main trade is computers, LOL)

TakinMyLyfeBack

Jokeroo VIP Status
[QUOTE="Flynn, post: 3701375]It basically comes down to the fact that without the people preparing the food, waiting staff wouldn't get any tips.

America seems to have a system where the waiting staff rely on tips because of their low wages.
[/QUOTE]

thats because the waiting staff here does not even earn minimum wage, which to me is a crock, because they work just as hard if not harder as others who are making minimum wage.........this is exactly why I am so skeptic to run my fat ass up there to the ranchero, the only restaraunt little alto texas offers, and get a job.............because I know I wont make near enuf to support my kids, and pay my bills....and Have to share my tips with everyone else too...

hortysir

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 3701238]We were up north at a pub this weekend and I saw that all of the waitstaff were putting their tips in one jar. One waitress was texting on her cell phone while customers were waiting for service and one waitress was working her tail off. So you have everybody taking out of the tip jar even though you don't earn your share. I would not want to work in a place where I don't get to keep my own tips. Does anyone have a job where you have to split tips and how do you deal with it?[/QUOTE]
I've never been in favor of servers pooling their tips.
pro - if everyone works together to turn more tables they make more
con - the same "texting" scenario happens

Recently we have introduced what is referred to as TipShare.
Bussers and Bartenders that were making minimum(+)(most were much more) wage plus tips have been lowered to sub-minimum (tippable) wage.
Instead of relying on the "honor system" of servers tipping bus and bar, now it's programmed into their final sales report.
All sales RANG IN while a bartender is on the clock get 1% to the bartender.
All sales CLOSED OUT while a busser is on the clock get .75%
This additional 1.75% is tabulated into the servers' cash-out report.
This is the only way, that I have witnessed, that genuinely makes it everyone's best interest to drive sales and guest count.

:cool:

Crudebug

Personally... I prefer the tip goes to the one who serves, as it is a token of personal appreciation .. and not giving one,.. an expression of dissatisfaction..
This will hold true in places where tipping is voluntary..
But in many places .. a tip is expected as a unspoken mandatory payment... even to the extent of fixing %ages.. and some places where tipping is not allowed or even rejected... (as I have seen all these variants from personal experience.. and it even becomes a question I first tend to find out in a new place.. the tipping culture.. )

In places where the tip is customary, the amounts are usually standard %ages.. and this is often shared not just by those waiting at tables, but the pool is divided between, stewards, captains, and those unseen in the kitchen and at the door.. so no one feels left out, and everyone benefits.. and thus in everyone's interest to make sure the service merits a stream of tips...
In any case, which workplace does not have their share of deserving and undeserving people, who all benefit from perks.. until those who resent the unworthy find a way to make them uncomfortable and shape up or ship out..