The race for Govenor gets Kinky...

wife

A few of you have asked me about the quote on my signature... Kinky Friedman is one of my favorite authors. Here's some info on him from his website. Now be honest how many of you just checked out this thread because it has "kinky" in the title? If you read at all you should check out "Elvis, Jesus, and CocaCola." I believe this is the book my quote is from.

Your One Stop News Source for the Kinky For Governor Campaign

Guess Who Wants to Be Governor
(from the New York Times) By RALPH BLUMENTHAL

MEDINA, Tex., Nov. 22 — As a campaign slogan, it leaves something to be desired: "Why the hell not?"

But Kinky Friedman, the irreverent Texas author, songwriter and salsa maker, and self-described "Gandhi-like figure" at the animal rescue ranch he runs here in the Hill Country west of San Antonio, says the message could propel him into the governor's mansion in Austin. (Read the rest of the story)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinky for Governor? Texas politics needs this kind of boost
Dallas Morning News: 12:02 AM CST on Sunday, March 28, 2004

The Kinkster running for governor? Evidently.

Kinky Friedman – novelist, humorist and pioneer of Jewish country-western music – wants to hurl himself into the ring for the 2006 governor's race. And we mean hat, cigar, mouth ... everything. (Read more of the Dalls Morning News article)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race for Texas Governor Gets Kinky
March 4, 2004--Reuters News Service; By JON HERSKOVITZ

MEDINA, Texas -- Unleash your inner Texan and vote Kinky.

Kinky Friedman, best-selling author, country music singer, humorist, friend of stray dogs and salsa merchant, is running for governor of Texas in 2006 as an independent. Friedman is the man behind the song Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed and author of the book Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned. (Read more of the Reuters article)

Singer, novelist, detective - and governor?
In Texas, where character is king, a cult figure sets his wit on high office.
from the April 05, 2004 edition of the Christian Science Monitor

HOUSTON – The crowd grows restless as the man they've been waiting to see enters the room and begins to mingle with friends. He's shaking hands and telling jokes and taking far too long for many of these anxious admirers.

You'd think he was a politician or something. (Read More of the CSM article)

Links to other stories about the campaign:

Governor Kinky? (Article from the Kerrville Daily Times)

Oaf of Office (The Last Roundup, Texas Monthly: by Kinky Friedman)

See Kinky Run (The Last Roundup, Texas Monthly: by Kinky Friedman)