What is it? #404

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
​They may be 12" long, but I wonder how wide they are ~ could they be attached to a pole to cut/clear reed beds, or generally clearing river banks?

roadkill

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="TwiztedAngel, post: 4996343]Could they be motorcycle seats?[/QUOTE]
dont think i would want to sit on them...that spike thing would hurt...lol

kipper

Super Moderator
Led people astray, nothing to do with motorbikes but read through the text as the clues are there...

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Romford Lad, post: 4996350]​They may be 12" long, but I wonder how wide they are ~ could they be attached to a pole to cut/clear reed beds, or generally clearing river banks?[/QUOTE]

Or them holes could be to put your fingers in?

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="LilMissPurrfect, post: 4996416]A great tool to give someone a big fat middle finger? :huh:[/QUOTE]

squirt

Administrator
well, I caught the "sickle" part ... so if not caps, perhaps some sort of hay bale hook?

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Thank you Kip ~ I remember seeing one similar in our old tithe barn [years ago, after it being renovated] ~ and I think Squirt is correct in saying 'sickle' we would also call them hand scythes for reaping ~ and [after just a little research to answer Bambers second question], I do believe they are called 'swap hooks' ~ well in the country anyway, cos I have no idea why that name.

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="kipper, post: 4996337]If you ride a motorsickle you might need one....
....:heehee:[/QUOTE]

That was clue one

kipper

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="kipper, post: 4996342]The Grim reaper has one, as does my pal mark a farmhand and motorbike enthusiast, has boat cleats on all his doors as well...:hehehaha:[/QUOTE]

.................................................................................................................:rofl:
That was clue 2 as it is called a Palamarka, or do what I did, if in doubt ask Shawnia, she'll know...

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Thanks again mate ~ that means my brain [old brain] is playing tricks with me, cos we couldn't have had one even similar in the tithe barn unless they were called different things in different countries ~ thought 'swap hook' was just a tad strange

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4996168]maybe used for picking something prickly? lol :thinking:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4996374]sickle caps? lol :thinking:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4996497]well, I caught the "sickle" part ... so if not caps, perhaps some sort of hay bale hook?[/QUOTE]
You are so close I'm going to give you that.

They are palamarki (singular palamarka) and used in reaping.

The crop being reaped is gathered together with the palamarka and cut with a sickle. It also protects the hand from the sickle blade.

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Romford Lad, post: 4996350]​They may be 12" long, but I wonder how wide they are ~ could they be attached to a pole to cut/clear reed beds, or generally clearing river banks?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Romford Lad, post: 4996721]Thank you Kip ~ I remember seeing one similar in our old tithe barn [years ago, after it being renovated] ~ and I think Squirt is correct in saying 'sickle' we would also call them hand scythes for reaping ~ and [after just a little research to answer Bambers second question], I do believe they are called 'swap hooks' ~ well in the country anyway, cos I have no idea why that name. [/QUOTE]
Just beaten to it. They have several colloquial names, including swap hook, which they share with sickles and/or billhooks, so it gets confusing, but palamarka is the name I was looking for as it is the only name which refers exclusively to these. They are supposed to have originated in Bulgaria. The Spanish have a similar four finger version called a Zoqueta, with a smaller hook.