What is it? #406

Bamber

Super Moderator
A word from our sponsor...

Bamber

Super Moderator
These are all roughly the same size and have the same function:
what is that function?
I believe they were/are more common in the US than Europe.

The name by which they are most commonly known would be a bonus.

stevent222

Jokeroo Immortal Super *Star* & all around NiceGuy
[QUOTE="muchtrouble10, post: 5006805]They remind me of scales...[/QUOTE]

pussifitculy used for mesuring the weight of small fish in a baskets.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Well they actually remind me of an old 'Demy Scale' ~ where you cut a square of paper out from a sheet to weigh, to find out the ream weight.

Pprey

for hanging pots over fires? :thinking:[/COLOR][/B]
When I first read this I thought it said PETS not POTS and thought WHY? Then I read it again and realised its time I had my eyes (or my mind) tested.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Having looked again, and they appear quite delicate in construction ~ wondering if they are for weighing precious metal, gold ~ or diamonds ~ something quite light anyway

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="squirt, post: 5006754]for hanging pots over fires? :thinking:[/QUOTE]
Yes, that is what they are for.

They are called chimney cranes.

Romford Lad

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Well done indeed darlin' girl ~ and I think Bamber was quite correct in that it is probably more US than over here ~ only because we don't have the vast ranges where the cowboys would need to use something like this ~ having said all that, I reckon they would be wonderful for camp fires with Scouts etc out under tent, lovely thing.

Bamber

Super Moderator
[QUOTE="Romford Lad, post: 5007461]Well done indeed darlin' girl ~ and I think Bamber was quite correct in that it is probably more US than over here ~ only because we don't have the vast ranges where the cowboys would need to use something like this ~ having said all that, I reckon they would be wonderful for camp fires with Scouts etc out under tent, lovely thing.[/QUOTE]
When I was a child my paternal grandparents still lived in the home the family had occupied since the mid 1800s. There was a small room off the kitchen with a fireplace for heating washing water which had a chimney crane, much smaller and less ornate than those shown here, for swinging a kettle in and out of the fireplace.

squirt

Administrator
that's what made me guess that, what would need to swing up and back down again, seemed right to stir a pot that way

YAY! lol :grin:

:thankyou: :xxsandoos: