What is it? #548

Bamber

Super Moderator
I hope I've not used this before.
Roughly 7cm square (2¾ in)
what is the function of this precision made tool?

It shared its name with something to do with cycling
but in a way was intended to do the exact opposite of that thing.

Bamber

Super Moderator
These went pretty much out of use by the end of the 1980s as the technology they were used on had been superseded.
I used to have one.

Bamber

Super Moderator
punch data cards?
Not data cards, but something with the same function. It was used for another type of communication device before being used for computers, but you are correct in the assumption that I used it in my computing job.

Bamber

Super Moderator
time cards?
Not time cards. Cards have a fixed length. This media technically did not have a fixed length.
The earlier communication device used a series of 5 round holes. When used for computing it became a series of 7 or 8 holes, which is what this object was used to punch.

Manzy

Jokeroo VIP Status
paper punch?

I used to key punch on a Sperry Univac card machine and those are the only thing I can think of that had holes like squirt said lol

Last edited:

Bamber

Super Moderator
paper punch?

I used to key punch on a Sperry Univac card machine and those are the only thing I can think of that had holes like squirt said lol
You're on a roll: two weeks on the trot.

It was used to join punched paper tape together. A sticky patch was used and holes punched through that patch to match the holes in the tape either side of the join. The paper tape was originally used in Telex & Teletype machines. We used it in computing to make loops to hold printer form feed information for continuous stationery.

The cycling connection is the name: it was known as a Puncture Repair Kit.

paper tape punch 2.jpg

Last edited:

squirt

Administrator
Good job, Manzy - another one bites the dust! lol 1bravosmiley.gif
Congratulations!!!
1sendheart.gif