White House told of militant claim two hours after Libya attack: emails

sybarite

White House told of militant claim two hours after Libya attack: emails
By Mark Hosenball | Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show.

The emails, obtained by Reuters from government sources not connected with U.S. spy agencies or the State Department and who requested anonymity, specifically mention that the Libyan group called Ansar al-Sharia had asserted responsibility for the attacks.

The brief emails also show how U.S. diplomats described the attack, even as it was still under way, to Washington.

U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the Benghazi assault, which President Barack Obama and other U.S. officials ultimately acknowledged was a "terrorist" attack carried out by militants with suspected links to al Qaeda affiliates or sympathizers.

Administration spokesmen, including White House spokesman Jay Carney, citing an unclassified assessment prepared by the CIA, maintained for days that the attacks likely were a spontaneous protest against an anti-Muslim film.

While officials did mention the possible involvement of "extremists," they did not lay blame on any specific militant groups or possible links to al Qaeda or its affiliates until intelligence officials publicly alleged that on September 28.

There were indications that extremists with possible al Qaeda connections were involved, but also evidence that the attacks could have erupted spontaneously, they said, adding that government experts wanted to be cautious about pointing fingers prematurely.

U.S. intelligence officials have emphasized since shortly after the attack that early intelligence reporting about the attack was mixed.

Spokesmen for the White House and State Department had no immediate response to requests for comments on the emails.

Time line of events in Benghazi:

1. 12:45pm, the attack started (our time) Washington officials watched it happen in real time video.

2. By no later than 5pm, we know the president was informed.

Stevens died at 8pm (our time), plenty of time for help, support to have reached our embassy.

4. 6-hours in 2 more had died.

5. 8-hours in another had died.

We watched a large well armed, organized militia (carrying the flag), engage our embassy personel for 7-hours, and ... we did not respond.
We watched our embassy personel die in "real time" and no help was sent.

It has been confirmed that there was a protector drone flying and sending real time video and that those in Washington DC watched. Claire Lopez FMR CIA stated "We watched our people die (in real time), and did nothing". Normally, help is sent, there are 3 air bases within reach and an aircraft carrier. No help was dispatched.

One of the biggest cover ups in Obama's presidency. He apologises to the Middle East for some anti Muslim film that was the cause of the attacks when he damn well knew it was a planned terrorist attack and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when Ambassador Stevens was begging for added security. The sooner Otrama gets voted out the better. November 6, cannot come fast enough. Obmama lied while people died!!

Last edited:

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
OMG, I'm sick of hearing about this shit. If this is the only thing that you can find to skew the perception of Obama, it's pathetic.

Oh, and by the way, you forgot to mention that somewhere during that time line, Obama took a shit in his White House toilet, which he shouldn't have done.

sybarite

[QUOTE="kiki5711, post: 4128772]OMG, I'm sick of hearing about this shit. If this is the only thing that you can find to skew the perception of Obama, it's pathetic.

Oh, and by the way, you forgot to mention that somewhere during that time line, Obama took a shit in his White House toilet, which he shouldn't have done.[/QUOTE]

If you are "sick of hearing about this shit" feel free to skip the thread! The only thing I can find to skew the perception of Obama? Where do you want me to start?

During his term in office, Obama has:

-Forced Obamacare down our throats,

-Added over $5 trillion to the nation's debt,

-Presided over the worst economic recovery in our nation's history, including a doubling of the long-term unemployment rate,

-Killed plans to construct the Keystone XL pipeline, resulting in tens of thousands of potential jobs being lost and a massive reduction in our chances of achieving energy independence,

-Destroyed our diplomatic and military relations with Great Britain, Poland, Israel, and numerous other nations around the world, and

-Imposed crippling environmental and financial regulations on businesses.

Our enemies mock us and nations that once envied us, pity us.

A second term for Obama would mean over $25 trillion in national debt by 2022.

A second term for Obama would mean the integration of radical leftist policies into our federal tax code, including an increase in the income tax rates from 33% to 36% and 35% to 40%, the subjection of all wages to FICA taxation, and an elimination of deductions for mortgages, charitable giving, and state and local taxes.

A second term for Obama would mean a nuclear Iran with the capability to "wipe Israel off the face of the map," something Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is eager to carry out.

A second term for Obama would mean the curtailment of our 2nd Amendment rights and a stamp of approval for international bodies, such as the United Nations, being allowed to monitor and track the production and sale of small arms here in America.

A second term for Obama would mean the continued implementation of two of the worst pieces of legislation in the last century: Dodd-Frank and Obamacare.

A second term for Obama would mean more regulations and higher taxes for start-ups and small businesses.

A second term for Obama would mean an unprecedented fiscal crisis, drastically less take-home pay for men and women across income brackets, a plummeting standard of living, a more dangerous world for our children and grandchildren…

Obama whispering to Putin he would have more leeway after the elections.

Do you want me to continue, or is this enough?

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Ohhh pleeeease!!! same "babble" over and over, never looking at the whole picture. How blind we can be?

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
It's the same bullshit as when republicans were "appalled" that Obama had the "nerve" to set Romney straight about the Navy. How dare he?

Never mind that vomit and shit has been thrown at Obama for the past 4 yrs.

squirt

Administrator
it's vomit and shit when it's anti-Obama, and let's not forget propaganda ... but it's pure fact when when it's anti-Romney, right?

there's just no reasoning with thinking like that! lol :zebrahug:

Syb, you forgot about Fast and Furious! lol :high5:

sybarite

[QUOTE="squirt, post: 4128868]it's vomit and shit when it's anti-Obama, and let's not forget propaganda ... but it's pure fact when when it's anti-Romney, right?

there's just no reasoning with thinking like that! lol :zebrahug:

Syb, you forgot about Fast and Furious! lol :high5:[/QUOTE]

Whoops, my bad. There are just so many things Obama has screwed up on it's hard to keep track of them all! The worst part of the Fast and Furious is Obama using and abusing executive privilege to cover up more of the investigation. That is a crime in itself!!

The Fast and Furious scandal is turning into President Obama's Watergate!
By Tim Stanley US politics

In 2009, the US government instructed Arizona gun sellers illegally to sell arms to suspected criminals. Agents working for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) were then ordered not to stop the sales but to allow the arms to “walk” across the border into the arms of Mexican drug-traffickers. According to the Oversight Committee’s report, “The purpose was to wait and watch, in hope that law enforcement could identify other members of a trafficking network and build a large, complex conspiracy case…. [The ATF] initially began using the new gun-walking tactics in one of its investigations to further the Department’s strategy. The case was soon renamed ‘Operation Fast and Furious.”

Tracing the arms became difficult, until they starting appearing at bloody crime scenes. Many Mexicans have died from being shot by ATF sanctioned guns, but the scandal only became public after a US federal agent, Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, was killed by one of them in a fire fight. ATF whistle blowers started to come forward and the Department of Justice was implicated. It’s estimated that the US government effectively supplied 1,608 weapons to criminals, at a total value of over $1 million. Aside from putting American citizens in danger, the AFT also supplied what now amounts to a civil war within Mexico.

The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is rightfully investigating the Fast and Furious debacle, in which the Administration allowed thousands of guns to flow across the Mexican border, resulting in the death of one U.S. border patrol agent and at least 200 Mexican citizens—according to the Mexican attorney general.The most glaring violation of executive power in that investigation prior to today was the refusal of the Department of Justice (DOJ) to turn over 1,300 pages of documents subpoenaed by the committee without even an assertion of executive privilege. Attorney General Eric Holder simply refused on his own initiative in a blatant act of stonewalling.

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
Thank heavens someone is presenting the other side. Some people only "research" to search for the facts they want. Believe it or not, I'm not sure I can be called a Romney supporter. My position in this election is NOT OBAMA...although Governor Romney seems to be looking better to me as this mess gets messier. BTW...I heard some VERY bad stuff about the whole embassy deal, but I don't want to repeat it unless it is verified. I DO know that we could have had assistance there ONE HOUR after Washington heard the news!

Flynn

Syb

Just because an Islamic militant group claimed credit for the attack does not mean they were involved.

It is an unsubstantiated claim.

sybarite

[QUOTE="Flynn, post: 4129012]Syb

Just because an Islamic militant group claimed credit for the attack does not mean they were involved.

It is an unsubstantiated claim.
[/QUOTE]

The saddest part of this whole incident is it could have been prevented if the embassy had the extra security they asked for. Watching it live, while not lifting a finger to help is a crime!!

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 4129017]The saddest part of this whole incident is it could have been prevented if the embassy had the extra security they asked for. Watching it live, while not lifting a finger to help is a crime!![/QUOTE]

Gazzilon of dollars could have been saved if the "weapons of mass destruction" were actually the reason we demolished Iraq, and lost many soldiers in the process.

That was one DAMN big lack of investigation, that lead to war in Iraq that could have been prevented. But the "weapons of mass destruction" wasn't the goal after all. And the CRIME OF THE CENTURY committed by the Bush Administration.

I'm really happy for Halliburton and other corporations that made out financially real good on that one at the expense of our sons and daughters lives.

sybarite

[QUOTE="kiki5711, post: 4129114]Gazzilon of dollars could have been saved if the "weapons of mass destruction" were actually the reason we demolished Iraq, and lost many soldiers in the process.

That was one DAMN big lack of investigation, that lead to war in Iraq that could have been prevented. But the "weapons of mass destruction" wasn't the goal after all. And the CRIME OF THE CENTURY committed by the Bush Administration.

I'm really happy for Halliburton and other corporations that made out financially real good on that one at the expense of our sons and daughters lives.[/QUOTE]

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
Condi Rice Pours Cold Water On ‘Benghazi-Gate’

By Hayes Brown on Oct 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm
RICE: But when things are unfolding very, very quickly, it’s not always easy to know what is really going on on the ground. And to my mind, the really important questions here are about how information was collected. Did the various agencies really coordinate and share intelligence in the way that we had hoped, with the reforms that were made after 9/11?

So there’s a big picture to be examined here. But we don’t have all of the pieces, and I think it’s easy to try and jump to conclusions about what might have happened here. It’s probably better to let the relevant bodies do their work.

Condi's Reasoned Statement on Libya - YouTube

muchtrouble10

Jokeroo Legend
For the final analysis, she is correct...but why didn't someone send help while it was going down? At that time it didn't matter who knew what or who was causing the problem and why they were doing it. HELP should have been sent.

Also...in this case, I have a problem with waiting for the final decision about what happened and why. I can't help it...I suspect B.O.s hands are dirty and I do NOT want to wait until after the election to learn that fact.

sybarite

[QUOTE="muchtrouble10, post: 4129781]For the final analysis, she is correct...but why didn't someone send help while it was going down? At that time it didn't matter who knew what or who was causing the problem and why they were doing it. HELP should have been sent.

Also...in this case, I have a problem with waiting for the final decision about what happened and why. I can't help it...I suspect B.O.s hands are dirty and I do NOT want to wait until after the election to learn that fact.
[/QUOTE]

Amen!

bbell

[QUOTE="sybarite, post: 4128775]If you are "sick of hearing about this shit" feel free to skip the thread! The only thing I can find to skew the perception of Obama? Where do you want me to start?

During his term in office, Obama has:

-Forced Obamacare down our throats,

-Added over $5 trillion to the nation's debt,

-Presided over the worst economic recovery in our nation's history, including a doubling of the long-term unemployment rate,

-Killed plans to construct the Keystone XL pipeline, resulting in tens of thousands of potential jobs being lost and a massive reduction in our chances of achieving energy independence,

-Destroyed our diplomatic and military relations with Great Britain, Poland, Israel, and numerous other nations around the world, and

-Imposed crippling environmental and financial regulations on businesses.

Our enemies mock us and nations that once envied us, pity us.

A second term for Obama would mean over $25 trillion in national debt by 2022.

A second term for Obama would mean the integration of radical leftist policies into our federal tax code, including an increase in the income tax rates from 33% to 36% and 35% to 40%, the subjection of all wages to FICA taxation, and an elimination of deductions for mortgages, charitable giving, and state and local taxes.

A second term for Obama would mean a nuclear Iran with the capability to "wipe Israel off the face of the map," something Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is eager to carry out.

A second term for Obama would mean the curtailment of our 2nd Amendment rights and a stamp of approval for international bodies, such as the United Nations, being allowed to monitor and track the production and sale of small arms here in America.

A second term for Obama would mean the continued implementation of two of the worst pieces of legislation in the last century: Dodd-Frank and Obamacare.

A second term for Obama would mean more regulations and higher taxes for start-ups and small businesses.

A second term for Obama would mean an unprecedented fiscal crisis, drastically less take-home pay for men and women across income brackets, a plummeting standard of living, a more dangerous world for our children and grandchildren…

Obama whispering to Putin he would have more leeway after the elections.

Do you want me to continue, or is this enough?[/QUOTE]

This all reminds me of battered women. You get some one decent in your life, who is not perfect, and all you can do is wax nostalgic about your previous lover who beat you, beat your son and repeatedly sexually assaulted your daughter. Let me run down what we missed over the past few years.

-A president who let 911 happen. Over 2000 dead vs. four in Libya.

-A president who very deliberately lied us into a war that caused thousands of good American their lives and countless number of collateral innocent deaths. And the wounded.

-A president who let the wounded go to a run down Walter Reed.

-A president who got his Justice department to draft legal justification for torture. By the way people, the Geneva accords are now totally void. Normal people don't know this. But the worlds lawyers and leaders know this.

-A president who praised the head of FEMA in the light of Katrina.

-A president who lead us into the greatest financial crisis since the depression.

-A president who squandered away the good will of most of the civilized world. By putting secret prison in their countries where torture took place. Kidnapped their citizen's without their permission.

-A president that appointed more incompetent people through out government than I can remember.

-A president who put the wars he started off budget, so the budget deficit would not look as bad it actually was. Like paying your credit card bill with a post dated check that is going to bounce any way.

All of this taking place where all the president kept saying was that cutting taxes would boost the economy. We see where that lead. As for the recovery, because I understand economics, I know that 3 years is not enough time for a recovery five years would be about right for the start of a recovery.

With seven being more logical for a modern economy bent on achieving maximum efficiency. How often do you go into a bank, when was the last time you went to Blockbuster, When was the last time you mailed a bill, When was the last time you saw a meter reader. Businessmen are in the business of making money. You do that by providing goods or services with the least amount of capital outlay with the highest markup the market will bear. People are a very expensive capital outlay, make a machine program a machine make a whole lot of money.

As for the Embassy security, because most people are ignorant. They do not grasp that you can not defend an embassy successfully. The only people who can defend an embassy successfully is the host country. If you don't get it. An embassy is surrounded by the people of the country they are in, if those people decide they want everyone in the embassy dead, then they will die. Whether they are defended by Marines are out sourced security firms to save on the military budget. Libya is a country in the middle of major change, the fact that we had an ambassador there is a testament to the bravery of that man and his staff. People complaining about the embassy mess show a great deal of ignorance about the state of a country like Libya, and the general state of that part of the world. Where every degenerate group is looking to take ownership for acts of debauchery.
My two cents worth. Vote Obama!!!!!!!

Vinnie

I'd like to know precisely what the president was supposed to do in this time period. Yes, he could have organised an air strike but that's about it. Do you think that would have done much good?

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="bbell, post: 4130012]This all reminds me of battered women. You get some one decent in your life, who is not perfect, and all you can do is wax nostalgic about your previous lover who beat you, beat your son and repeatedly sexually assaulted your daughter. Let me run down what we missed over the past few years.

-A president who let 911 happen. Over 2000 dead vs. four in Libya.

-A president who very deliberately lied us into a war that caused thousands of good American their lives and countless number of collateral innocent deaths. And the wounded.

-A president who let the wounded go to a run down Walter Reed.

-A president who got his Justice department to draft legal justification for torture. By the way people, the Geneva accords are now totally void. Normal people don't know this. But the worlds lawyers and leaders know this.

-A president who praised the head of FEMA in the light of Katrina.

-A president who lead us into the greatest financial crisis since the depression.

-A president who squandered away the good will of most of the civilized world. By putting secret prison in their countries where torture took place. Kidnapped their citizen's without their permission.

-A president that appointed more incompetent people through out government than I can remember.

-A president who put the wars he started off budget, so the budget deficit would not look as bad it actually was. Like paying your credit card bill with a post dated check that is going to bounce any way.

All of this taking place where all the president kept saying was that cutting taxes would boost the economy. We see where that lead. As for the recovery, because I understand economics, I know that 3 years is not enough time for a recovery five years would be about right for the start of a recovery.

With seven being more logical for a modern economy bent on achieving maximum efficiency. How often do you go into a bank, when was the last time you went to Blockbuster, When was the last time you mailed a bill, When was the last time you saw a meter reader. Businessmen are in the business of making money. You do that by providing goods or services with the least amount of capital outlay with the highest markup the market will bear. People are a very expensive capital outlay, make a machine program a machine make a whole lot of money.

As for the Embassy security, because most people are ignorant. They do not grasp that you can not defend an embassy successfully. The only people who can defend an embassy successfully is the host country. If you don't get it. An embassy is surrounded by the people of the country they are in, if those people decide they want everyone in the embassy dead, then they will die. Whether they are defended by Marines are out sourced security firms to save on the military budget. Libya is a country in the middle of major change, the fact that we had an ambassador there is a testament to the bravery of that man and his staff. People complaining about the embassy mess show a great deal of ignorance about the state of a country like Libya, and the general state of that part of the world. Where every degenerate group is looking to take ownership for acts of debauchery.
My two cents worth. Vote Obama!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

:lassoo::flowerhug::englishthumb::heartballoons:

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="Vinnie, post: 4130088]I'd like to know precisely what the president was supposed to do in this time period. Yes, he could have organised an air strike but that's about it. Do you think that would have done much good?[/QUOTE]

Being how some people know everything, they think first: he should have peed in his pants from worry, second: scratch his head about who to kill first: and third: order troops to go there immediately and start another war:

kiki5711

Jokeroo Enthusiast
[QUOTE="muchtrouble10, post: 4129781]For the final analysis, she is correct...but why didn't someone send help while it was going down? At that time it didn't matter who knew what or who was causing the problem and why they were doing it. HELP should have been sent.

[/QUOTE]

There's something called "protocol" that is used to make a clear decision in response to an incident/attack/any event on scale such as that one.

Why didn't someone help while it was going down?

Give me a moment, I have to ask my son, he's 17 yrs old, he will have an answer.