Why Men and Women Flirt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazbut

Why Men and Women Flirt??

Flirting is such an integral part of the dating scene that we pretty much take it for granted. But what happens when we dig a little deeper and start asking questions about this bizarre behavior. What is flirting? Why do men flirt? Why do women flirt? How do you go about flirting? A new survey aims to shed light on the issue.

Results from a flirting test reveal that men and women not only enjoy flirting, but many do it in order to get what they want. Their data showed that while women did have a slightly higher tendency to flirt, it was men who fared slightly better in terms of flirting expertise and techniques.

"Men aren't as cavemen-ish when they flirt as some women may think," according to Vrat Jerabek, president of the company. "For instance, 11 percent of men who took our test would easily and shamelessly flirt with a female officer to get out of a ticket, compared to 8 percent of women. Men also used their flirting skills to get a deal on a car (20 percent), and a surprising 6 percent of them would actually date her in order to get a deal later on."

Among women, 27 percent did admit they would do that 'shyly picking off a lint on a guy's sweater' thing, but 21 percent also stated that they would flirt mercilessly with a bouncer to get into an exclusive club if they heard that their favorite celebrity would be there. And 6 percent of women admitted that they would go even further than that if they had to.

"We are certainly hot-wired to flirt by our genetics, and the best flirts have had the best chances of propagating. The body language used in flirting in various cultures has the same basic components intense eye contact, smile, hair toss and coy glances for the ladies, chest puffing in men... So there is certainly a genetic component," Jerabek said in a release about the survey. "Flirting is more than genes dictating our movements. It's also a skill based on social learning and learning by observing adult subject matter experts."

The study also revealed that men's most popular flirting gestures when chatting with a woman are to smile and to lean in to show interest, while women smile and look deep into a man's eyes. Other interesting tidbits:

45 percent of men would converse with someone they found hot at a funeral;

36 percent would ask that person out, while still at the funeral (55 percent and 19 percent respectively for women).

Only 10 percent of women would flirt with a male car salesman in order to get a better deal.

Apparently, both men and women love to flirt. It's fun and relatively harmless. But, does flirting with an ulterior motive cross the line?

Source: YellowBrix, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

sexysadie

Jokeroo VIP Status
I`ve always found that men who were good at flirting were also quite charming. Flirting here on the roo and flirting in person are two different beasts altogether, as some of you may already know, personally, while I enjoy flirting with the roo guys (because they`re so adorable) I`d much rather flirt in person. Body language is sometimes all a girl needs, know what I mean jellybean:..lol..:adore:

BigPapa

REALLY SADIE??? YOU like to flirt with the Roo Fellas ? I never woulda guessed it...How could I have posibly missed this? :rofl:

OK....I wont lie......"hello everyone . My name is BP....and I'm a flirter!" Wow....feels great to finally get that off my chest , all this time spent live'in a secret life is finally over and now I'm free! lol:nana:

I think sum people flirt because thats just their personality...at least I do , thats just who I am which is never go'in to change.....I've never had a problem start'in conversations with anybody no matter how random they may be BUT there is a line that should not be crossed at times ! Flirter does not mean automatic cheater.....I have NEVER cheated on anyone in my life ! Nor have I been with sumbody who was cheat'in on sumone WITH me even though I've had the chance to do both.....I've dated a couple gurlz who were seperated with divorce pending and there where a few times where I might not have wasted any time move'in on but if I am comitted I am comitted.....PERIOD there is no grey area ! I believe mild flirting is harmless but be respectful....don't do it in blatenly in front of your partner If you know it bothers them and NEVER cross any lines where your not will'in to man up and handle the consequences of your decisions and actions but that goes for life in general......here ended the lesson! :winkwink:[/COLOR][/I][/B]

sexysadie

Jokeroo VIP Status
REALLY SADIE??? YOU like to flirt with the Roo Fellas ? I never woulda guessed it...How could I have posibly missed this? :rofl:

OK....I wont lie......"hello everyone . My name is BP....and I'm a flirter!" Wow....feels great to finally get that off my chest , all this time spent live'in a secret life is finally over and now I'm free! lol:nana:

I think sum people flirt because thats just their personality...at least I do , thats just who I am which is never go'in to change.....I've never had a problem start'in conversations with anybody no matter how random they may be BUT there is a line that should not be crossed at times ! Flirter does not mean automatic cheater.....I have NEVER cheated on anyone in my life ! Nor have I been with sumbody who was cheat'in on sumone WITH me even though I've had the chance to do both.....I've dated a couple gurlz who were seperated with divorce pending and there where a few times where I might not have wasted any time move'in on but if I am comitted I am comitted.....PERIOD there is no grey area ! I believe mild flirting is harmless but be respectful....don't do it in blatenly in front of your partner If you know it bothers them and NEVER cross any lines where your not will'in to man up and handle the consequences of your decisions and actions but that goes for life in general......here ended the lesson! :winkwink:[/COLOR][/I][/B]
......and I always thought of myself as being quite shy...:giggles:

I agree, if I wasn't able to flirt, I think I'd shrivel up and die because it's a part of who I am. I would never intentionally flirt with somebody who was obviously uncomfortable with that sort of thing but sometimes, it just comes so naturally to me, if I was ever confronted about it, I'd have to think back on the conversation in question. My sister tells people not to worry, with Sadie, flirting is just like ol faithful, it's gonna flow whether we like it or not...lol..my sister is mean:blush:

BigPapa

It occurs to me that sumtimes theres a fine line between meaness and honesty! lol.....The funny thing is that if its sumone I'm actually interested in , even sumone I've known for awhile a sum'in sparks up between us.....to be honest I'm not so confident! lol I may be able to make it through a converstion without stumble'in over my own words but inside I'm about to explode...questioning myself , and just know'in she can see right through me.......and I'll know I've met the right one when she actually can![/COLOR][/I][/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.