wifes paper route

wife

Most everybody knows I do a paper route on Sundays. I deliver 307 papers over 180 something miles through deepest, darkest southeastern Colorado... Today I took pictures of these things in people's yards for my dad. He's just retired and is looking for ideas for his new hobby. So that's why the people's names and addresses. Gee, I hope they don't mind, lol. Actually, I did talk to most of them. Anyway... these pictures turned out way better than I ever thought they would, even at this size. I just thought I might give people (like Kelly and Bergy) an idea of just how rural we are down here. I hope you all like them.

It was a beautiful day. Not like what the people in Florida are having today. I wish I had planned to make this thread before. I'd have taken pictures of the sunflowers... Several places on the route they stretch out as far as the eye can see. They were so thick in places we had trouble turning onto people's properties.

We usually see lots of birds and animals too. Today my beloved MD and I had a quick picnic on the hood of the car parked next to a field. We were eating cheese and jalepeno tamales that we had bought in Holly when we saw a hawk snatch up a rabbit less than twelve feet from us. This is a big hairy deal to a city girl like me... Maybe I'll take more pictures next Sunday.

Berginyon

That is what a thread is for Wife... So that you can post more later...

As I thought... No can see da pics... Tomorrow.. In biotech... I will look at them.

--Bergy.

wife

*~HeartBrokenAngel~* said:
wow, theres very interesting things in peoples yards! The only interesting thing here I've seen is a lit up cactus!
lol I guess it's an important thing, out in the middle of nowhere, to have your address displayed like this. I don't get it myself but my dad is looking into making these things since he's retired.

wife

I actually start my paper Route east of Lamar, Colorado and deliver out to about 35 or 40 miles northeast of Holly, Colorado near the Kansas border and finish up on Highway 50 west from Granada, Colorado back towards Lamar. I go through 3 towns with a poplation of less than 500 people but most of my route is out in the country.

Aluli

A Premium Jokaroo'er
Does it "Pay" enuf? I do a once a week paper supplement ad and it's all in town, house to house and it does decent pay!

sassypants

I almost feel as tho I am riding with you!

I love to drive...maybe I should look into a route here!.....

Once I get the music cranked and the windows down tho...I'm afraid I would miss the boxes!!!!!!!!!_____________________________________

WhammaJamma

Thanks wife for sharing. I prefer the hustle and bustle of the city but sometimes the calmess the country life has to offer can be quite refreshing and calming. (newspaper box w/big thankyou sign attached emoticon)

wife

Whamma I'm from the city originally myself but I have to say this part of the country has grown on me even though there are no mountains down here. I look forward to moving to Denver and back to civilization but I will especially miss doing this paper route.

Aluli and Sassy, it pays me very well. After the money I use for gas and lunch I make close to $125. That's $500 a month after expenses for working four days a month. I usually pick up my papers by six at the latest and get back home around 2:30 or 3:00.

Aside from being the ice cream man I think having a rural paper route must be the coolest job you could have and this job I can do all year long.

Aluli

A Premium Jokaroo'er
Aluli and Sassy, it pays me very well. After the money I use for gas and lunch I make close to $125. That's $500 a month after expenses for working four days a month. I usually pick up my papers by six at the latest and get back home around 2:30 or 3:00.
Cool, I do four days a month also.. (Remember when I said I stay out all night on "Getting to know you Thread??") haha..

But, 4 days a month.... I make $800 a month not including gas (and lunch!!) lol! I pick mine up the day before delivery and I have 12 hours to deliver them in. It doesnt take that long of course, I'm out around 6 hours on delivery day.

Aluli

A Premium Jokaroo'er
Comes to about what..... $33 bucks an hour?? Whoooooohoooooooo

wife

Wow Aluli, sounds like you have a better financial deal than I do. Plus, you get to pick up your papers the night before! That's way cool! I make my husband come with me to help roll and load. Sometimes either he or my youngest daughter go on the route with me too. Next weekend I'll post better pictures of my route. I enjoy it as much for the drive as anything. I have also gotten very attatched to a little old lady way out on my route. She frequently tries to feed me, lol.

Do you deliver in town or rural like me? I have an opportunity to transfer straight to Denver but the route will be in the city. I'm thinking I might not like it as much even though it will be for higher pay. I deliver the Denver Post by the way... I also have the chance to go to 7 days a week when we move. I am undecided though. I fell into this job by accident. I think it might get old doing it every day.

Aluli

A Premium Jokaroo'er
Mine is residential.. House to house.. drive a ways then another subdivision and house to house again. I've been doing this for over 7 years now. I wouldnt want to wake up 7 days a week for a route tho, just my views.

Berginyon

You need more pics... MORE PICS!!!! I think that rural area is cool... I wish that I have a Rural growin up in... Sheesh... Stoopid city boy.

Grr... Oh well... Great stuff Wife... Thanks for sharing..

--Bergy.

wife

Aluli said:
Mine is residential.. House to house.. drive a ways then another subdivision and house to house again. I've been doing this for over 7 years now. I wouldnt want to wake up 7 days a week for a route tho, just my views.
I just saw where you told me before that your's is residential... duh wife! Anyways, I don't mind getting up early as long as it's not at a ridiculous time like before 5:30 or 6:00. I am just not sure I want to do the same thing day after day. I have my own business but it's not very busy through the winter. I have just been on this route since April. All but three of my papers are thrown from my car. I love to drive no matter what the weather but would this job suck in Denver in the winter? I'm really thinking it over carefully. I did just buy another car this afternoon that I think would be a good one on a paper route just in case, lol.

wife

Berginyon said:
You need more pics... MORE PICS!!!! I think that rural area is cool... I wish that I have a Rural growin up in... Sheesh... Stoopid city boy.

Grr... Oh well... Great stuff Wife... Thanks for sharing..

--Bergy.
Ha Bergy! I thought you might get a kick out of these pictures but I never dreamt you'd be that enthusiastic about it...

Next weekend I'll take better ones so you can see goats on people's front porches and peacocks in the corn fields, lol. One place we have to drive carefully because of pigs... Hopefully, I could even get a good picture of the sunrise over a field of sunflowers. I really wish I had planned this out before. I'm kinda clueless about computer related things. I took these pics with a webcam, lol. I expected poor black and white shots of those things for my dad was all.

Bert Dibish

HEY WIFE, I USED TO DELIVER PAPERS TOO UP IN PITTSBURGH, IN ABOUT 4 TOWNSHIPS. I WAS GONE ABOUT 4 HRS A DAY, BUT 7 DAYS A WEEK. BUT THE PAY WAS REALLY GOOD. I MADE A DECENT LIVING OUT OF IT WHEN I WAS OUT OF A JOB. A LOT OF PEOPLE LAFF AT PEOPLE DELIVERING PAPERS FOR A LIVING, BUT THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING. YOU ARE BASICALLY YOUR OWN BOSS, UNLESS YOU REALLY SCREW UP. THOSE PICS WERE AWESOME TO ME. THANKS FOR SHARING THEM.
DADDY KEWL